Group Home

Smarter Home: Spring Showers Bring Muddy Shoes

Posted by   + Show Post

My kiddo loves her Hello Kitty rain boots and actually looks forward to trekking through the NYC streets when it is rainy -- just to jump in the puddles. It is April...and let's say it together: April showers bring May flowers. What it leaves out is that it also brings those muddy tracks on the floor. Watching your kids jump in puddles and spy on the worms in the garden as they get a much-needed bath is one of those precious moments, but the after part, getting off those dirty boots and rain gear is, well, annoying.

Which is why the home décor gods made the mudroom. Some of you may have an actual room, others of us may just have an area in the garage or by the backdoor where everyone dumps their boots and shoes and backpacks.

The main thing about this area? Organization. You all know I am a sucker for organizational goodies. I love trays that tell the kids "Stop! Do not pass go! Put your nasty boots HERE!" -- this one is basic and then you can have ones that looks a little more interesting.

The best organization makes the area work for you....not just to keep the floors clean, but to look cool too. Imagine a hook and a cubby for each kiddo and that husband, or a bench with cubbies underneath for umbrellas and gloves and scarfs -- both are great. Also, I love this idea: try adding some inspiring quotes on the wall. Words to subtly remind them of good positives as they go off and come back from their days. Pump up that room's potential and when those muddy prints do make their way onto the rug, it won't seem as bad. Really.

Do you have a mudroom or area? How do you control the muddy clutter?

©iStockphoto.com/lightguard

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
maxswolfsuit
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Our back porch acts as a mudroom. It's connected to our bathroom. We have a pool so the rule is no bathing suits in the house. All drippy kids must leave suits and mess in the bathroom or on the porch. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Same here

Quoting mrswillie:

We live in the mountains, in the woods on a dirty road.  Our home has no wall to wall carpet.  We have a shoe basket by the front door.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM
I want to make the outside door of the kitchen a mud room area. Its part of the garage. I want a small bench there and something go hang up coats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM

we have a rug by the front door where we take off our shoes. if they are clean they get taken straight to the bedroom closets.  if they're dirty then the sit there to dry.  by our balcony door we have one of those foam mats that we keep the bikes on & put our shoes when we use the balcony door.

wandep
by Pam on May. 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM

No mud room here...just a little shoe rack. We don't track much mud in either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie