Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transitioning from one child, to two

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 14 Replies
How did you do it? Was it difficult? Were there any tips/ticks that you used, that you found to be lifesavers?

Even though DD has many siblings, she is my only child. Not only do dh and I have no other children, she is also the youngest grandbaby.

Dh and I are ttc, and she says she wants a younger sibling. We give her all of our everything right now. We are concerned about the transition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Laura_N_Texas
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I am no help at all, because I only have one child too.  But here is a bump for you!  :)

slw123
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Just include them in everything with the baby.  I was so worried that I wouldn't love my son (second child) as much as I already loved my daughter, but I learned that you make more love for each child.

fraujones
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

We kept saying things like "the baby is so lucky to have you as a big sister." I involved my oldest daughter in the preparations, but only when she wanted to be included. We checked out kids' books from the library that dealt with having a new sibling.

After baby Violet was born, I would let Willow (big sister) pick out her outfits and toys. I also encourage Willow to "teach" Violet how to do things. If she doesn't want to help, no big deal. I don't want make Violet feel like a burden.

They really love each other. Willow was an only child for five years, so I expected the transition to be a lot more difficult than it was. 

Here's a pic of them shortly after Violet was born:

proudmommy690
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM
it wasnt hard for me when i had my 2nd. my oldest was a big help...she'd get diapers or whatever i asked her. to me it felt normal when i brought my 2nd home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Awww! I have a 4 year old ds and just had a baby 5 weeks ago. I am shocked at how well ds is doing with a new baby. He loves to hold her and put her binky in her mouth lol it's so sweet! Your dd probably loves having a younger sister :)

Quoting fraujones:

We kept saying things like "the baby is so lucky to have you as a big sister." I involved my oldest daughter in the preparations, but only when she wanted to be included. We checked out kids' books from the library that dealt with having a new sibling.

After baby Violet was born, I would let Willow (big sister) pick out her outfits and toys. I also encourage Willow to "teach" Violet how to do things. If she doesn't want to help, no big deal. I don't want make Violet feel like a burden.

They really love each other. Willow was an only child for five years, so I expected the transition to be a lot more difficult than it was. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
What a beautiful picture!

Quoting fraujones:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM

That is so cute! DD does love having a little sister. She's so amused by all of the silly things babies do. 

Quoting Aadensma:

Awww! I have a 4 year old ds and just had a baby 5 weeks ago. I am shocked at how well ds is doing with a new baby. He loves to hold her and put her binky in her mouth lol it's so sweet! Your dd probably loves having a younger sister :)

Leelee1008
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Always make time for DD, include DD in your taking care of the baby, like helping get clothes for the baby, and also feeding(if your bottle feeding). When I had my 2nd child, I would still do things alone with our oldest.

Also make sure you praise your oldest alot, people will be making over the new baby and its easy for the 1st to get pushed aside a bit. 

amyjane22
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM
We just had our 2nd child in february. Our older one is 5 years old. Honestly, it was more work than I thought it would be only because my first baby was so very content and my 2nd wasn't and likes to be held... A lot. That doesn't mean that's how it is for everyone, though. I was just very spoiled by my firstborn, lol.

My tip is to relax. I was freaking out at first because I was falling behind on cleaning & things, but I learned that if I just relaxed I could enjoy my time with my children & get to the housework later. There will always be housework to do, but kids are only little for a short time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Oh, and our son had been an only child for 5 years. He had absolutely no jealousy problems what so ever.
I spent a lot of time talking to him during my pregnancy about how his little brother was going to need extra attention, but that I would love them both the same. We also are always telling him how much his little brother loves him & how cool he thinks he is :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)