Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Rainy Day Activities

Posted by   + Show Post

If you’re going on your second or third day of rain, you’ve likely exhausted all those rainy day tricks you hide up your sleeve--or in your closet. (My secret rainy day stash includes new books, new toys, and rainy day crafts.) Lets think outside the box, or rather outside the home. No, you don’t have to play in the rain, but it's time to get out of the house.

The movies are always a great rainy day option if there’s a movie playing suitable for your kids' ages. Try to go to the earliest showing for discounted pricing. Museums are also good on rainy days, though can often draw crowds (especially rainy weekend days). How about bowling or ice skating? Or try an indoor pool at a local hotel, college, or health club; they frequently sell day passes. There’s also indoor kid gyms, which let kids run, climb, and jump around, which is a great way to blow off some steam.

Whatever rainy day, get-out-of-the-house activity you choose, be sure you enjoy yourself too. Afterall, you’re finally out of the house as well.

What rainy day activity do you usually do with your kids?

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
mom27g
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM

play games :)

MedicMommyAnne
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I made mystery boxes.  It started a couple years ago I bought  a 90 lb lot of lego on ebay.  Me and my DH went through the lego and made as many of the kits as we could.  We ended up with over 40 sets that were complete.  As we finished them, we put them in boxes and just labeled the outside of the box with the set number.  After we finished them we had a huge stack of boxes hidden in the basement.  It took 2 years but the kids went through the stack of boxes.  They loved getting new sets and it definetly gave them something to do on a rainy or snowy day.  Once they were all gone I started new one of varing themes.  The only rule is they only can open one box at a time.  They can't open one and say I don't like it and then open another one. 

•   new coloring book with a box of crayons
  • color wonders
  • wooden craft kits such as build a pirate ship or a race car
  • ceramic figurines and paint
  • new movie
  • new video game that can be played by at least 2 people
  • packet of cookie dough and cookie cutters
  • a box of cake mi & frosting & cupcake wrappers
  • new play doh
  • small lego sets
  • binoculars
  • new book
  • puzzle
  • science kit with fun little projects
  • Deck of cards
ethans_momma06
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Forts. ;)

Kim24kids
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

you rock

kayleeab
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I started this thing called the rainy/lazy day jar. I took one of my old formula jars and put scrap book paper on it and labled it Rainy/ Lazy day on it. I put a bunch of ideas on colord sticks like coloring, baking, scrapbooking, legos, Movie, ect. I keep adding to the jar when I find new ideas. When it's a Lazy day we draw things out of that and that is what we do. So we have no fighting on what to do in the house. We also spit toy, games, fun things up into 8 crates and switch them out every week so they don't get board with what they have.

We also have a chore jar and a sunny day jar so no fighting on what to do.

&& if the say they are board then they can pick something from the jar because we don't like to hear we are board. They have many things to do.

yepitsmetina
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Back in the 1990's I was a stay at home mom with 3 young daughters in 'Washington' (Better bring an Umbrella) State. So rainy days was our specialty.

We played board games, read books, played cards, watched Disney and Barney the Dinasour, learned to make homemade Play Dough and Paper Mache.

We did the Macarana (spelling)? And danced to 'Achy Breaky Heart.' We also called in to radio stations to hear ourselves request songs. We held talent shows in the neighborhood which required the art of lip sync.

We made our own Mad Libs which was a learning experience using nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives.

I think the most fun we had thought was when I would take the white meat wrapping paper and tac it to the walls in their bedrooms, living room, etc. and allow them (and myself) to create Murals.  It was amazing, creative, and fun for all of us because we each could express our own form of art.  BUT, most IMPORTANTLY?  My daughters felt like they were writing on the walls.

~Tina Johnson

Tenino, Wa

Hapsand123
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM

We dont have many rainy days here. A few a year maybe. But when it is here, we open all of our curtains and enjoy the rain. We might take baths and get all snuggly and order in or make something together and/or play games, watch movies. We dont really go out anywhere unless we have to. Again, we dont have alot of rainy days here in AZ so we like to sit and enjoy them. 

wendums1229
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Quoting amy7243:

We like to watch movies,bake and play with play dough.

ditto

mymomsSukki
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I thought Iwould stop by and say HI, I'm from WA. to  I'm here in Port Orchard I have a home daycare/preschool. I'm tired of all the rain we are getting.

Susie

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quoting BeachMommy07:

I like doing crafts!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN