Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Blogging Your Family Life

Posted by   + Show Post

I've noticed in scrolling through the group today that there were a few questions about blogs...how to start one, what sites to use, etc.

I've been blogging off and on since 2004, and started blogging professionally in 2007. I've been a writer and journalist for years, so it was my writing skills they hired, not my blog ones, but it's still an awfully nice way to earn some money. Since about 2008, it seems like other ways of sharing such as Facebook and Twitter have taken some of blogging's personal aspect (they're both sort of micro-blogs) and big, professional sites like The Stir here at Cafe Mom have become the hot content creators. That said, blogging is still a great way to express yourself, hone your writing skills, keep track of your kids' milestones and funny comments, and develop a great network of friends inside the computer.

Several sites offer free blogging templates. Blogger (www.blogspot.com) is probably the easiest to use; I have my personal blog on Wordpress (www.wordpress.com) because they share a lot of valuable information for the newbie blogger....tutorials on content, topic ideas, etc. With Wordpress, you can also choose to pay to have your blog hosted as its own website for a very small fee, something like $20 a year; however, most of the features you'll want as a beginner are free.

Blogging will not make you rich. All but a very few of the most successful bloggers don't make a full-time living at it. Most do it for the love of writing. It's super-fun, though, and since it's free you don't have much to lose.

Do you blog? Which ones do you read?

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM
LOL me too

Quoting amy7243:

I am not a blogger...Im not to interesting :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaHuney
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I do blog!  Recently discovered it and love it!  In fact, there's my blog page below  :)

Love what you do and you'll never work a day in your life.

Get to know me better at http://www.wifenmom.com/ 

thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

i have thought about it started one but then stopped i am writing a book 

besosfantasies
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I don't blog but I do keep a journal.

amyjane22
by Amy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM
I don't blog, but have considered it. There are a few I like to read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM

i do...but i'm still working on it.  I enjoy doing it, but it does take up a lot of time.

http://livinthemommylife.blogspot.com/

BeachMommy07
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I do not currently blog. I do read several blogs (including Cafemom)

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM

No. I don't blog, but it would be a cool way to keep track of the little moments in  your life ;)

mommyprice09
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

i blog

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

don't blog nor read.  cm is about all the social networking i do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN