Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After birth smoothie

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
I don't know if there are any "crunchy mamas" in this group, so I don't know what kind of responses I will get.

What did everyone do with their placenta after birth?
I had a csection with DD, and was pretty out of it. This time around, I will be using half of it to make to make a smoothie (2), and the other half will be encapsulated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

They threw it away as far as I know. Not for me, but not the weirdest I've heard..One midwife that used to practice here made a tea out of it..

momkaribg
by Kari on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Not for me. Good Luck with your decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetpea1269
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Have fun with that! To each her own is what I say! I have heard all the research about the benefits but I just don't think I could bring myself to do it... And what the heck is a crunchy mama??!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tayanddyl
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM

mine was thrown away all 3 times (as far as i know)

What does eating it (or making a smoothie with it) do?  What are the benefits?

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM
I have heard of moms doing this. Good luck. I dont think i could bring myself to doing such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM
There are tons of health benefits! I am sure that I will miss some of them, but,.... it decreases postpartum depression,decreases bleeding, decreases iron deficiency, decreases insomnia, increases eneregy/milk production...

I have never done it, so I haven't experienced any of it first hand. Everything I've read states this, though. I figure, women willingly take medication to do these things. I am much more comfortable with my in body.
Quoting tayanddyl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Lol... it is another name for natural mamas.

Quoting sweetpea1269:

Have fun with that! To each her own is what I say! I have heard all the research about the benefits but I just don't think I could bring myself to do it... And what the heck is a crunchy mama??!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Uh, not something I could do...
momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Whatever the hospital did with it. I have thought about encapsulating it if we have another.  

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I had mild PPD & low milk supply. Those benefits are what make me lean towards encapsulating it next time.  

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

There are tons of health benefits! I am sure that I will miss some of them, but,.... it decreases postpartum depression,decreases bleeding, decreases iron deficiency, decreases insomnia, increases eneregy/milk production...

I have never done it, so I haven't experienced any of it first hand. Everything I've read states this, though. I figure, women willingly take medication to do these things. I am much more comfortable with my in body.
Quoting tayanddyl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)