Smarter Home: Small Space Alternatives

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

When you live in a small house or apartment, you tend to get creative with the way you decorate your home. You want to maximize your space, use it efficiently, and allow every corner, wall, and square foot to serve a purpose. As we all know having kids, and their toys, can make it even more challenging.

Through some trial and error, I have a few tricks for making the most out of your small space. My favorite tip is to think outside the box when looking for furniture. I was looking for a small counter-height table for my kitchen nook, and I was frustrated to find very few options. However, I had many more options when I opened up my search to include desks and outdoor furniture.

When looking for a media console, I was disappointed with how expensive they seemed to be and how little storage they allowed me. That's when I started searching out buffets, consoles, and even wide dressers. I picked a wide dresser in a very dark wood-it doesn't look at all like a dresser--and it quite capably stores an amazing amount of blankets, toys, and books, as well as all our media equipment. I love it!

My last tip is about rugs. They can be pricey, and I just needed one for our entry hallway. I searched outdoor rugs, and found one at a fraction of the price. It's also more durable, and looks great. With ‘outdoor living' such a hot trend lately, there's more to choose from that looks indoor-ready.

What's the most creative you've gotten with your space?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehickinhickor
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM

i try and have things that can be use in 2 or 3 diffrent ways also helps if i am going for a diffrent look 

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:29 AM

i had hubby build a bench window seat with drawers, it can be moved if we rearrange our room

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Hubby just built ds a loft bed. Its 6' tall so we can easily walk under it. There's no supporting legs so the only floor space is taken up by his ladder. Its like we added 4' onto the side of his 8x12 room without adding any square footage to our home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:02 AM

I haven't gotten creative with anything but I did see this coffee table on tv that I would love to have.  It turns into a big dining table and that's exactly what we need.  I would love to get my hands on one.

amy7243
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:29 AM
I have a chest that I have in the living room that I use for storage but it is looks nice too.
powow65
by kimmy on May. 2, 2012 at 6:37 AM
that IS some great idea's! Tyvm! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 2, 2012 at 6:54 AM

My oldeast son wanted the walk in closet for a bedroom instead of sharing with his younger brother.

BeachMommy07
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting Kainalu55:

i had hubby build a bench window seat with drawers, it can be moved if we rearrange our room

Can you post a pic? that sounds darling (:

momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I use dressers to hold many things.I also have a china hutch that I store collectibles in the drawers and I use lots of bookshelves

nlonnon
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I made sure all our tables in the living room could also double as a sortage space.  We have baskets on their bottom shelves to store misc items (mostly toys) it help for quick clean up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: