Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Small Space Alternatives

Posted by   + Show Post

When you live in a small house or apartment, you tend to get creative with the way you decorate your home. You want to maximize your space, use it efficiently, and allow every corner, wall, and square foot to serve a purpose. As we all know having kids, and their toys, can make it even more challenging.

Through some trial and error, I have a few tricks for making the most out of your small space. My favorite tip is to think outside the box when looking for furniture. I was looking for a small counter-height table for my kitchen nook, and I was frustrated to find very few options. However, I had many more options when I opened up my search to include desks and outdoor furniture.

When looking for a media console, I was disappointed with how expensive they seemed to be and how little storage they allowed me. That's when I started searching out buffets, consoles, and even wide dressers. I picked a wide dresser in a very dark wood-it doesn't look at all like a dresser--and it quite capably stores an amazing amount of blankets, toys, and books, as well as all our media equipment. I love it!

My last tip is about rugs. They can be pricey, and I just needed one for our entry hallway. I searched outdoor rugs, and found one at a fraction of the price. It's also more durable, and looks great. With ‘outdoor living' such a hot trend lately, there's more to choose from that looks indoor-ready.

What's the most creative you've gotten with your space?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I use a loft bed in my daughters oom to give them more room to play

momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM

My dd's friend has a loft bed with a play area underneat it. I love the idea. 

Quoting othermom:

momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I saw this on Pinterest yesterday & want to make it for my kitchen. It's perfect for a small space.

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Once my youngest is in a twin bed we will remove the toys from under the loft bed, but for now the kids love it

Quoting momma-flynn:

My dd's friend has a loft bed with a play area underneat it. I love the idea. 

Quoting othermom:

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
These are great tips! I'm going to use them! Thank you so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by Kari on May. 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Thanks for the tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on May. 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I bought a mini crib for my new baby and it helps save space. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

i haven't had to get too creative with the apartments we've lived in.  we've moved allot so i don't hang on to much.  we constantly go through the kids toys & books getting rid of what they no longer are interested in.  so we don't need allot of storage.  i do pick up things on occasion & use in alternate ways.  like over the door shoe holders used for barbie dolls & small stuffed animals.

LifeCafe42
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I have a wood filing cabinet for my TV stand and a bookcase with cubes for ds's toys. My table folds down and has 2 stools that tuck underneath it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kuulou
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I've always loved buffets and never thought they could be used for other areas of living!  Wonderful! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN