Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Night Versus Morning

Posted by   + Show Post

As we all know, there is a lot to keeping a family running. You have to stay on top of clean clothes, lunches, making sure your kids have soccer cleats or karate uniforms or whatever...there's just a lot to do, and it can make mornings completely insane.

The key to stopping the insanity? Shift as much as you can to the evening hours.

I pack lunches, lay out outfits for my kids and for me, make my to-do list for the next day, and assemble any school or work-related paperwork and put it in the relevant spot  (work bag, purse, kids' backpack). If I blow it off, I am invariably running around in the morning well after I should have had everyone in the car for school, muttering swear words under my breath and tripping over the dog. If I have put the time in at night, it's smooth sailing.

Of course, that's because I am a night person and do not function well with any sort of higher order thinking in the morning..it seriously has taken me five minutes of pondering to decide if I want cereal or toast. If you're a morning person, you probably have no trouble getting up early enough to get all your chores done and can do them efficiently.

Are you a "prep the night before" person or a morning dynamo type? What are your tips to reduce the morning chaos?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
jessesbride
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I'm such a night person, even trying to switch to being a morning person has not helped... my brain just thinks better at night!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

i do a bit of both.  depends on how i'm feeling the night before.  if i'm motivated & have energy i'll get things together then but if i'm tired i'll wait till the morning.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM

We get 5 yo backpack ready the night before.  I get the  diaper bag ready if going somewhere.  The rest is done in the morning.

Mishandia
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I do as much as possible the night before. Clothing, lunches and homework to prevent chaos and crisis mood in the morning.

thehickinhickor
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I pre play everything drives my family nuts until they see why lol i don't have a little one in school yet tho so we don't have to worry about all that just yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I like to prep the night before.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting heathermichelle:

I prep the night before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teesoloca
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

def a plan the night before type.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I always make my daughter's lunch the night before. I set her alarm and we make sure her clothes are always picked out. I also make a list in another cafemom group so I know what I am doing...if I shower in the morning, I usually lay out my clothes depending on how early I shower. And I plan the day before what meal we will be eating for dinner

Karissa_ruiz
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:21 AM
The only thing I do the night before is set out my fiancée clothes for work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)