Group Home

Smarter Mom: Night Versus Morning

Posted by   + Show Post

As we all know, there is a lot to keeping a family running. You have to stay on top of clean clothes, lunches, making sure your kids have soccer cleats or karate uniforms or whatever...there's just a lot to do, and it can make mornings completely insane.

The key to stopping the insanity? Shift as much as you can to the evening hours.

I pack lunches, lay out outfits for my kids and for me, make my to-do list for the next day, and assemble any school or work-related paperwork and put it in the relevant spot  (work bag, purse, kids' backpack). If I blow it off, I am invariably running around in the morning well after I should have had everyone in the car for school, muttering swear words under my breath and tripping over the dog. If I have put the time in at night, it's smooth sailing.

Of course, that's because I am a night person and do not function well with any sort of higher order thinking in the morning..it seriously has taken me five minutes of pondering to decide if I want cereal or toast. If you're a morning person, you probably have no trouble getting up early enough to get all your chores done and can do them efficiently.

Are you a "prep the night before" person or a morning dynamo type? What are your tips to reduce the morning chaos?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
jessesbride
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I'm such a night person, even trying to switch to being a morning person has not helped... my brain just thinks better at night!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

i do a bit of both.  depends on how i'm feeling the night before.  if i'm motivated & have energy i'll get things together then but if i'm tired i'll wait till the morning.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM

We get 5 yo backpack ready the night before.  I get the  diaper bag ready if going somewhere.  The rest is done in the morning.

Mishandia
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I do as much as possible the night before. Clothing, lunches and homework to prevent chaos and crisis mood in the morning.

thehickinhickor
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I pre play everything drives my family nuts until they see why lol i don't have a little one in school yet tho so we don't have to worry about all that just yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I like to prep the night before.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting heathermichelle:

I prep the night before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teesoloca
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

def a plan the night before type.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I always make my daughter's lunch the night before. I set her alarm and we make sure her clothes are always picked out. I also make a list in another cafemom group so I know what I am doing...if I shower in the morning, I usually lay out my clothes depending on how early I shower. And I plan the day before what meal we will be eating for dinner

Karissa_ruiz
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:21 AM
The only thing I do the night before is set out my fiancée clothes for work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.