Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD wants to know if it is ok to be a stripper. (posted in another group months ago)

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 39 Replies

This is a more active group for me, and I like you ladies... so I figured I would post here to strike up conversation.

My dd was spending time with her cousins yesterday. Apparently they were talking about strippers. Why?!?! I don't know. But, my daughter asked me if it was ok for her to be a stripper. I told her no, that wasn't ok with me. She said, "Why not, aren't I pretty enough?"

I swear, this was just a topic on cafemom. *sigh*

I explained to her that while she was beautiful, she was also intelligent, strong, determined. With all of the career choices those qualities would leave open to her, why would she want to take her clothes off so that men and women will give her money? We discussed how a woman's body goes through changes as she aged. If all she has ever done is get naked so that men and women can admire her body, what will she do when her body is no longer something to be admired? Where will her food, clothing, retirement come from? How will she take care of herself?

We talked about her interests, and what kind of jobs she thought she would enjoy as she got older. We talked about what she would need to do to reach those goals. I told her that dh and I, along with her father and the rest of her family, would be incredibly disappointed if that is what she choice for herself. Once she is 18, decisions become hers to make for herself, I just hope she makes decisions that she can live with, and won't bite her in the as later.

Would you be ok with it? How would you have responded?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nlonnon
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I think you handled it well and I'm sure that is how I would have handled it myself.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I would not be ok with it. I think what you said sounds good lol. I think I wouldnt know what to say.

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I agree with you. I think you did a good job explaining it to her. Yes I know that there are some women that do this to pay their way through college or because that is what they chose to do, but as parents we want better for our children. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You handled it well.  I would have hopefully handled it as well as you did!

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM
You handled that very well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I am so sad that we live in a world where she needed to ask if she was pretty enough to be a stripper. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sophie4910
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I think you  handled it well. I would not be okay with my daughter. I would say about the same thing you said and talk a little on having respect for your body.

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I would not want my kids to do that.  I think you andled it great

amyjane22
by Amy on May. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I wouldn't be okay with my child being a stripper either.  What you said was good. 

tayanddyl
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

i like your response.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN