Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you support this (piog)???

Posted by   + Show Post
Don't ask, don't tell" (DADT) was the official United States policy on homosexuals serving in the military from December 21, 1993 to September 20, 2011. The policy prohibited military personnel from discriminating against or harassing closeted homosexual or bisexual service members or applicants, while barring openly gay, lesbian, or bisexual persons from military service. The restrictions were mandated by United States federal law Pub.L. 103-160 (10 U.S.C. ยง 654 ). The policy prohibited people who "demonstrate a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts" from serving in the armed forces of the United States, because their presence "would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability." [1] The act prohibited any homosexual or bisexual person from disclosing his or her sexual orientation or from speaking about any homosexual relationships, including marriages or other familial attributes, while serving in the United States armed forces. The act specified that service members who disclose that they are homosexual or engage in homosexual conduct should be separated (discharged) except when a service member'sconduct was "for the purpose of avoiding or terminating military service" or when it "would not be in the best interest of the armed forces". [2] The "don't ask" part of the DADT policy specified that superiors should not initiate investigation of a servicemember's orientation without witnessing disallowed behaviors, though credible evidence of homosexual behavior could be used to initiate an investigation. Unauthorized investigations and harassment of suspected servicemen and women led to an expansion of the policy to "don't ask, don't tell, don't pursue, don't harass."

Mitch McConnell plans to put this back into action if he is ellected...what do you ladies think???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
BeachMommy07
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I stay out of politics. lol.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

You and me both, Julie!!!  

Quoting BeachMommy07:

I stay out of politics. lol.

starreyedcutie
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM
I'm not anti gay...but I sure as hell would have a problem with it.

Quoting BabyCondo:

Actually it's nowhere close to the same thing. A good analogy would be if I would have a problem showering with a bunch of naked lesbians. And the answer is no.

Quoting Sophie4910:

You dont see those men naked everday. Or in thier underwear getting ready for bed. these men.live eat and breathe together. They are gonna be naked. Do you want to shower with a bunch of men? I doubt it! its the same thing.

Quoting BabyCondo:

I always thought it was arrogant of straight men or women to assume that gay men or women just couldn't help but be attracted to all the people around them.  I work with men every day, and as a straight woman I do not find it difficult to keep from throwing myself at them. I imagine it wouldn't be any different for a lesbian.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Oh, no worries!! I'm one of those weird 'Right Wing' Conservative Republican women and I make no apologies for it.

He does 'oppose' obama, just not in the presidential election.

Quoting jpalmer:

sorry i guess i miss read...the artical that i was reading said he was up against obama...so i assumed...lol...i was just reading through the herald post and came accross this and thought about seeing what everybody thought...

Quoting RutterMama:

He is a senator in KY, but isn't in the presidential running. But yes, I do support him and putting the bill back in action.

Quoting jpalmer:

He is the US senator from kentucky...he is running against obama...

Quoting Leelee1008:

what is he running for? and what state?

I dont see how someones sexual preference has any bearing on how they handle a gun or how they protect and serve.

what a douche bag

Join Us For A Great Time In
The Smarter Living Group
& the Craft Cafe!

sweetpea1269
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
And as well, you don't know me or my experience with the subject. That policy punishes those who wish to serve and happen to have a same sex partner. Repealing the policy didn't force anyone out of the closet or force disclosure of whom they choose to sleep with. For many, including those in my own family, it allows them to serve their country and live their lives as they wish and not fear discharge.
You made a very general statement, I was very curious about it...no need to get all defensive. Neither of us are wrong because frankly its a policy based on a general concensus, that is to say popular opinion. It will change like the wind changes direction.
Quoting starreyedcutie:

My dear you don't know me...I've actually talked to gay women in the usmc and they have said they preferred the dadt policy.

Do you have any experiance with military at all...or are you just some bandwagon jumper that has no idea what they're talking about?

Quoting sweetpea1269:

Why? Because gays and lesbians cannot be passionate and serve their country just as any "straight" person can without pushing their homosexuality on someone as you are similarly forcing you heterosexuality on them?? If that is your logic, than other groups should be banned or asked to hide their preferences in life choices as well (like religion, race, etc)

Quoting starreyedcutie:

I'm for it!!!!! And i hope I hope it goes back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

It should have never been enacted in the first place.

sweetpea1269
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Haha, its like the "I'm not racist, I know this black girl..." Hahahahaha. And the gays that your straight husband are entitled to their opinion too.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

My husband is in the military as well as most of my friends. And a few of my friends happen to be gay...and after talking to them about it I've formed my opinion and i don't care if people agree with me. I didn't attack anyone else's posts...just here makin convo :) its fine I really don't care if people don't agree with me...I just prefer people to be respectful and grown up about it especially women that serve in our military

Quoting jpalmer:

I know this momma and she has heard and seen all of this first hand as well...your right you both have opinions...and your both entitled to them...but i think her actuall first hand (meaning her being the one in the actuall barracks and not going by word of mouth) gives her the better edge here...just saying...

Quoting starreyedcutie:

And that's ur opinion not mine...I'm entitled to mine. And my opinions are based off of what I've heard first hand and what I've seen...so don't "how dare you "...I'm allowed to say how I feel

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I gotta tell ya, when I got back from an ftx, and hopped into the showers, I really didn't care if the chick standing next to me liked balls or breasts. And if she liked breasts, she sure dent care if I had them, she just wanted to be clean.

I wrestled with the lesbians and straight girls alike. The same went for the males.I didn't give a damn about their sexual orientation, I'm married and monogamous!

And what do you mean where to they put the lesbians and gays? They put females in the female bay, and males in the male bay. What does sex have to do wit this? Being lesbian or gay does not liken you to a rapist. Their sexual orientation does not dictate that they sexually assault somebody of the same sex. Most go bout seeking a relationship just like you and I do.

When I was made uncomfortable, it had much more to do with a battle buddy blowing his brains out in front of me, and having to wipe his brains off of my face, than it did with sexuality.

How dare you?!

Quoting starreyedcutie:

I think that the way the military is set up how they set up the barracks I think its wrong to put a lesbian in with a strait woman or a gay man in a room with a strait guy. I don't think people that are strait should have to be uncomfortable in their living situations. I AM a military wife and have heard both sides to the story. But there is segrigation for a reason. Girls in one building guys in another. Where are you supposed to put lesbian and gay men? I think the dadt policy was better than what they have going on now. For many many reasons

Quoting jpalmer:

Not bashing just curious...but do you think if someone is homosexual they are not capable for fighting for our country? Or do you feel that they should hide and be ashamed of their selves as long as they are willing to die for us?

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Eh. I don't think it's worth considering until he's in a position to move that forward.

milmil06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM
I Dont think someone's sexual preference has anything to do with their ability to serve our country it shows they have balls and willing to risk their lives for our country and to protect our freedom even for the ppl who do not approve of their sexuality
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Actually you were far less respectful but that's neither here not there.

As for the OP, I have a knee jerk reaction to this but not being fully educated or involved in it I hesitate to form a solid opinion. I can see both sides.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Eh, I don't need you to defend my thoughts, j. She is more than entitled to her opinions. As far as my being disrespectful, please. I wasn't disrespectful. She gave her opinion. I gave mine. They just happened to be conflicting.

Quoting jpalmer:

I know this momma and she has heard and seen all of this first hand as well...your right you both have opinions...and your both entitled to them...but i think her actuall first hand (meaning her being the one in the actuall barracks and not going by word of mouth) gives her the better edge here...just saying...

Quoting starreyedcutie:

And that's ur opinion not mine...I'm entitled to mine. And my opinions are based off of what I've heard first hand and what I've seen...so don't "how dare you "...I'm allowed to say how I feel

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I gotta tell ya, when I got back from an ftx, and hopped into the showers, I really didn't care if the chick standing next to me liked balls or breasts. And if she liked breasts, she sure dent care if I had them, she just wanted to be clean.

I wrestled with the lesbians and straight girls alike. The same went for the males.I didn't give a damn about their sexual orientation, I'm married and monogamous!

And what do you mean where to they put the lesbians and gays? They put females in the female bay, and males in the male bay. What does sex have to do wit this? Being lesbian or gay does not liken you to a rapist. Their sexual orientation does not dictate that they sexually assault somebody of the same sex. Most go bout seeking a relationship just like you and I do.

When I was made uncomfortable, it had much more to do with a battle buddy blowing his brains out in front of me, and having to wipe his brains off of my face, than it did with sexuality.

How dare you?!

Quoting starreyedcutie:

I think that the way the military is set up how they set up the barracks I think its wrong to put a lesbian in with a strait woman or a gay man in a room with a strait guy. I don't think people that are strait should have to be uncomfortable in their living situations. I AM a military wife and have heard both sides to the story. But there is segrigation for a reason. Girls in one building guys in another. Where are you supposed to put lesbian and gay men? I think the dadt policy was better than what they have going on now. For many many reasons

Quoting jpalmer:

Not bashing just curious...but do you think if someone is homosexual they are not capable for fighting for our country? Or do you feel that they should hide and be ashamed of their selves as long as they are willing to die for us?

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)