Group Home

Piano Questions.

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hi ladies !

I am thinking of something new to start my son up with...and I am really thinking Piano it is, but he might be too young. I want to start him at age 3.

Is 3 too young?

What age is best?

How much does it cost to tune a piano?

How much to teachers usually charge?

Please help.

~Michelle

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My son started piano when he was 5 because that is the age the music studio required their students to be.

We don't have a traditional piano yet, so I couldn't tell you about tuning. He has a portable piano. It's like a keyboard but it's not.Most schools will recommend these over running out and buying a piano.

For us, it costs about $400 per term (Spring, Summer, Winter....)

boys2men2soon
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My sons started at ages 9 and 5.    It was not easy to find a teacher to take a 5 year old, most teachers want the child to know how to read.    The preferred age is 8, exceptions are made for younger children who can sit still and follow instructions.

The Price depends on your area and the qualifications of the teacher.

We chose to buy a digital piano, and love it!   It has weighted keys (like a traditional piano) but never has to be tuned, does not have to be on an inside wall, and is much easier to move.    It can also record what is played.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Quoting ceciliam:

My son started piano when he was 5 because that is the age the music studio required their students to be.

We don't have a traditional piano yet, so I couldn't tell you about tuning. He has a portable piano. It's like a keyboard but it's not.Most schools will recommend these over running out and buying a piano.

Thank you for your help ! I know they have keyboards with weighted keys that are very much like an actual piano, but I find that those are pretty pricey as well. I was thinking that maybe if I bought a used piano that I could get it tuned for cheaper than buying a new weighted key portable piano. :)

Was the $400 paid upfront or where they in payments? :)

Maybe I could have DS in Swim glasses for the next year and then maybe something else athletic for when he is 4. 5 sounds like a receptive age. Did your son prompt you for piano lessons or did you just sign him up?

CafeMom Tickers
tayanddyl
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

not sure, but here's a bump

celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM
I am giving you a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

My sons started at ages 9 and 5.    It was not easy to find a teacher to take a 5 year old, most teachers want the child to know how to read.    The preferred age is 8, exceptions are made for younger children who can sit still and follow instructions.

We chose to buy a digital piano, and love it!   It has weighted keys (like a traditional piano) but never has to be tuned, does not have to be on an inside wall, and is much easier to move.    It can also record what is played.

Was your keyboard expensive?

CafeMom Tickers
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM
I'm sure if the child will like it, it's worth it though.

Quoting ceciliam:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM
True...it depends.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
styler7
by Stacey on May. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I only remember my lessons were $50/month for 4/30 minute sessions. That was ages ago though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

We pay upfront but the studio does offer a payment plan.

My son has a love for music and showed an interest in piano. While it is not his passion, he does enjoy it and we thought it would be a good starting point for him. In the Fall, he will probably move on to drums since he is very interested in them. He has also expressed an interest in voice but they don't start kids in voice until they are at least seven.

As far as age, I believe the studio requires them to be 5 for piano (and other instruments) because they need to be able to learn to read music.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting ceciliam:

Thank you for your help ! I know they have keyboards with weighted keys that are very much like an actual piano, but I find that those are pretty pricey as well. I was thinking that maybe if I bought a used piano that I could get it tuned for cheaper than buying a new weighted key portable piano. :)

Was the $400 paid upfront or where they in payments? :)

Maybe I could have DS in Swim glasses for the next year and then maybe something else athletic for when he is 4. 5 sounds like a receptive age. Did your son prompt you for piano lessons or did you just sign him up?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky