Group Home

Smarter Home: An Organized Garage

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you haven't already, right about now is when you start getting all the summer things out of attics, basements, and dark garage corners. And you're finally tackling the to-do you've probably been putting off all Spring--it's time to clean the garage.

The garage gets dirty and dusty because it's a garage, but it's also a dumping ground for everything from shoes, to recyclables, tools, kids toys for all ages, sports equipment, bulk buys from wharehouse stores, and maybe a car or two--if there's room.

My favorite tip for getting a ‘prettier' garage is to paint it a bright white, and add thick stripes to either one wall or the floor in something fun like aquamarine, yellow, or the very trendy tangerine. Of course, this means that you have to empty your garage completely to paint, so it's not an option for everyone.

Next, choose some wall shelving and hooks. (A tip for buying shelving: Make sure the shelves are deep, which makes it easier to store larger items like a bag of mulch or a case of water.) A wardrobe or an inexpensive cabinet is also a great addition for storing things you don't want to get really dirty, like beach bags, towels, and bulk paper product supplies.

Place bins in easy to get to locations. Buckets that are easy to carry should be used for recyclables, and placed near the door. Big square bins that can fit on shelves are good for tools and toys.

The key to keeping your garage clean is to label every hook, bucket, and bin-right down to who's coat goes on which hooks.

What's the state of your garage? Do you have trouble keeping it clean?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Oh ours is beyond unorganized right now and just dirty from winter still. We will clean it soon.

Coca.Cola
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Mine is very organized. Not much in it tough. We are minimalists. A big tool box from Sears, bikes hang on the wall, garden stuff in a rack by the door, and the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiquis
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Danger zone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM
We don't have a garage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Ours is quite disorganized at the moment.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Ours is packed! We need to clean it out. Junk, give away, odds and ends. We need to get our butts in gear and clean it out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koolkidsmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Thanks for the tips. 

koolkidsmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Ours is FULL.   my son organizes it.

koolkidsmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Wow you actually put a car in your garage? lol

Quoting Coca.Cola:

Mine is very organized. Not much in it tough. We are minimalists. A big tool box from Sears, bikes hang on the wall, garden stuff in a rack by the door, and the car.

koolkidsmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My son has ours full of ATC's, motorbikes, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690