Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: An Organized Garage

Posted by   + Show Post

If you haven't already, right about now is when you start getting all the summer things out of attics, basements, and dark garage corners. And you're finally tackling the to-do you've probably been putting off all Spring--it's time to clean the garage.

The garage gets dirty and dusty because it's a garage, but it's also a dumping ground for everything from shoes, to recyclables, tools, kids toys for all ages, sports equipment, bulk buys from wharehouse stores, and maybe a car or two--if there's room.

My favorite tip for getting a ‘prettier' garage is to paint it a bright white, and add thick stripes to either one wall or the floor in something fun like aquamarine, yellow, or the very trendy tangerine. Of course, this means that you have to empty your garage completely to paint, so it's not an option for everyone.

Next, choose some wall shelving and hooks. (A tip for buying shelving: Make sure the shelves are deep, which makes it easier to store larger items like a bag of mulch or a case of water.) A wardrobe or an inexpensive cabinet is also a great addition for storing things you don't want to get really dirty, like beach bags, towels, and bulk paper product supplies.

Place bins in easy to get to locations. Buckets that are easy to carry should be used for recyclables, and placed near the door. Big square bins that can fit on shelves are good for tools and toys.

The key to keeping your garage clean is to label every hook, bucket, and bin-right down to who's coat goes on which hooks.

What's the state of your garage? Do you have trouble keeping it clean?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-46):
Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

We edon't have a garage

Susan3kids
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I went in the garage the other day and was greeted by a big frog hopping around. I basically chased it out but wonder how to keep frogs out.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM

We don't have a garage but we do have a carport and right now it's a train wreck.  :-(   It drives me nuts when it gets to looking like that and I just want my DH to clean it up.

SFerber
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM

My garage right now is in a state of shock...sheer shock!  The poor area looks like a 3 car garage junk drawer!

koolkidsmom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I meant to do my garage but still haven't.

koolkidsmom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM

i need to do my closet first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)