Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: An Organized Garage

Posted by   + Show Post

If you haven't already, right about now is when you start getting all the summer things out of attics, basements, and dark garage corners. And you're finally tackling the to-do you've probably been putting off all Spring--it's time to clean the garage.

The garage gets dirty and dusty because it's a garage, but it's also a dumping ground for everything from shoes, to recyclables, tools, kids toys for all ages, sports equipment, bulk buys from wharehouse stores, and maybe a car or two--if there's room.

My favorite tip for getting a ‘prettier' garage is to paint it a bright white, and add thick stripes to either one wall or the floor in something fun like aquamarine, yellow, or the very trendy tangerine. Of course, this means that you have to empty your garage completely to paint, so it's not an option for everyone.

Next, choose some wall shelving and hooks. (A tip for buying shelving: Make sure the shelves are deep, which makes it easier to store larger items like a bag of mulch or a case of water.) A wardrobe or an inexpensive cabinet is also a great addition for storing things you don't want to get really dirty, like beach bags, towels, and bulk paper product supplies.

Place bins in easy to get to locations. Buckets that are easy to carry should be used for recyclables, and placed near the door. Big square bins that can fit on shelves are good for tools and toys.

The key to keeping your garage clean is to label every hook, bucket, and bin-right down to who's coat goes on which hooks.

What's the state of your garage? Do you have trouble keeping it clean?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
fraujones
by Amanda on May. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I need to clean our garage. One thing I struggle with is family and friends wanting to store stuff in my garage because we have more space! 

nlonnon
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Ours is pretty clean...well minus the fact that there are so many bikes/wagons/riding toys in there!

proudmommy690
by Christa on May. 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM
i dont have my own garage lol....but the one here is pretty messy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

We have a carport instead of a garage.

mommyprice09
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM
ours is a mess lol
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Right now, it's pretty clean. I need to do a bit of organizing.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

We do not have a garage =(

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

That's my dh's domain. And he keeps it really clean. All my stuff that's out there is in one part of the garage all stacked up.

LilMissCupcake
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

its a mess

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

It is not great but not horrible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN