Group Home

do you think it's rude of the parent or the guest???

Posted by   + Show Post
Okay here's my question...when attending a childs birthday party do you always come bearing a gift and if so how much should this gift be worth???

Now let's put the shoe on the other foot...when a child is attending your childs birthday party do you think that child should bring your kid a gift...and do you think a certain amout of money should be spent on your kiddo???

Or (because there is always another idea/opinion)...do you think birthday presants are okay and it doesn't matter how much money is spent as long as the presants are opened after the party and thank you cards are sent out...that way no one gets upset...

Just curious...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
jpalmer
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM
We are mostly farmers around these parts so gifts are just left out...lol

Now if someone brings a gift that's fine but if they don't that's fine as well...no one blinks an eye either way...lol

Quoting mamivon2:

Most people we know dont have much money. They live paycheck to paycheck.. so I know in advance that they most likley wont be able to get my kids a present.. so when they tell me that they cant get them a present thats fine with.. most the time I tell them anyways not to worry about...

When I started to take my kids to parties at first they didnt understand that only the birthday child was getting present... I dont think there is anything wrong with the birthdaychild opening present in front of other kids.. thats how we do it anyways...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama032908
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

This is me too! I always being presents, but never expect any :)

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I would never show up to a party empty handed. I don't even go over friends houses without bringing a little something. That being said, I don't expect people to give DD gifts at her party. She receives so many gifts from us, grandparents(6 sets!), aunts and uncles.... it wouldn't matter if not a single guest brought a gift. I just want her to enjoy hanging out with her friends.

Aadensma
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I honestly think taking your kid to do something fun for their bday is a better idea than doing a party. That's what I do for ds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I LOVE LAZER TAG!!! Tell your kiddo he rocks!!! Lol...we do the few friends too it's hard to get the entire class to attend a party...lol

Quoting sweetpea1269:

My son just turned 8. He wanted to play lazer tag for his bday. I let him invite 2 friends we knew would be able to go (I don't do parties because you invite the class and no one rsvps or shows half the time). We did pizza at CiCi's, ice cream at Friendly's and lazer tag. I told the parents no gift was expected. They sent cards with cash anyway. My son hasn't been to a bday party in a while, they're always inconvenient...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

It is not the amount of money that is spent on a gift that is important.  Time and celebrating the birthday is the most special thing about a birthday  party.  We tell guests no gift, but most give a gift anyway.

Supervane
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I always bring a gift to bday parties. I usually spend about $10 on a gift, but I hit the clearances in toys about mid January-when they start to clearance the Christmas over stock. I usually buy about 5 girl toys and 5 toys for boys.

When we hist a bday partynever ever expect kids to show up with gifts. If they didn't I'm sure my DD wouldn't care or notice. She's received some very expensive gifts from friends that make my jaw drop, and some very small gifts that - but either way the sentiment is appreciated

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

My child always takes a birthday present. We usually spend around 20 dollars.

I appreciate any gift given to my child at there party but never expect one. No price point is expected.

I think gifts can be opened at the party either way.

proudmommy690
by Christa on May. 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM
i dont care if they bring gifts or not nor do i care how much it costs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I think that you should always bring a gift to a party. Even if its not a birthday party...a housewarming party, a new years party, etc...

Its common courtesy. If you can not afford one then maybe a card would be nice.

I never expect a gift , but I expect a card or friendly acknowledgement. I dont want my son to expect one either. He will know that not everyone is fortunate enough to afford gifts and because they can not afford a gift....should not mean that they are not allowed to celebrate with you.

My son will always bring a gift. Even if we are just getting invited to a party and can not attend. Though I must stay that if we can not attend the gift is about $10-$15 (until we get to school and end up with a million invitations a month for each kiddo in class - we might have to stop - LOL ), but if we are attending its going to be in the $20-$25 range.

Parties cost a lot of money and I think as a courtesy and measure of thanks to the family for giving you a good time as well as food and beverages...a gift would be most appropriate.

Lynette
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I don't feel there is a price point at all.  The last birthday party my boys were invited to we picked up a few things at the dollar store.  Another time it was one thing from the dollar store and $5.  When my oldest son had a birthday party I told people no gifts.  One friend just couldn't do that so she asked if she could bring my son a thing of fresh blueberries.  He was thrilled. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie