Group Home

Smarter Mom: Happy Mom's Day!

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

I never really appreciated the significance of Mother's Day, until I became one myself. (I now wonder how they think just one day a year is enough!) When my brother and I were little, we would "surprise" my mom by decorating her room with pictures we colored; and we would tape balloons and streamers all over the walls and silly stuff like that. As we got older, we grew out of the decorating her room phase, and settled into getting her the traditional mother's day stuff--flowers, scarf, a picture--nothing very personal.

One year, when I was buying a card (last-minute), I picked up a refrigerator magnet that was at the checkout register. It said something sentimental about moms, so I threw that in with our usual flowers/scarf gift. When she opened the gift that year, the magnet made her cry. I didn't really get why at the time, but now I understand. My daughter is too young to get me a gift, or even to know that it's mother's day, but my husband is well aware.

I already predict flowers from the mail-order deal they've been advertising on his favorite sports talk radio channel. But I wouldn't mind something more personal, too. So hubby if you're listening, three things that would make this mom smile, and maybe even feel a bit appreciated: A necklace with our daughter's birthstone in it, a digital picture frame with family photos already loaded, or a totally for-me gift, the two-way coffeepot I've been thinking about since I first heard of it. And of course, a nice card would mean a lot to me, too. 

Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's out there! Tell us about what mother's day means to you, or what you would like for mother's day?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I'm sad I have to work this year. Oh well I guess every day is mama's day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Thank you. Happy Mother's Day to you! I love the cards my children make for me and I love the time we spend together that day. I hope we go out for breakfast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 9, 2012 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I love mothers day.  15yo ds wants to take me to lunch because I can eat for free(lol).  he works for a friend and can't afford the whole family, but if mine is free, he can.  I had to laugh.

It is truely the thought that counts.

midnghtsprnkle
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I get the day off from any household chores and girls are not allowed to bother me with anything...

Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Mothers Day for me...well on a personal level it means that a dream has come true for me. I have always wanted to be a mom ! :)

Well technically I have always wanted to be a mom to 2 children ( I have 1 now ) . :)

Mothers Day is for my mother too and she is a pistol...lol. I love her to death and I think a lot of my traits are from her, so I try to appreciate her as much as possible throughout the year...but more so on special occasions like Mother's Day :)

fraujones
by Amanda on May. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Happy Mother's Day to you too! I love spoiling my mom on Mother's Day. She's such a self-sacrificing person. I just want extra hugs and homemade cards. 

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I think Mother's Day is a day to be sure you see your mother and show her how much she means to you. Yes, you should do this throughout the year, but IMO this is the one day that you better make sure you do lol! I will be taking my mom out for lunch. I'm not too sure what I will get her, but she loves simple silver bracelets and necklaces, so I will probably try to get her one of those. I'm hoping I finally get a MOM Pandora bead, but my favorite is the homemade stuff from the kids!! My daughter is in preschool and I know she made me something. I saw it yesterday when I was volunteering in her class, but I forced myself to look away so I will be surprised when she gives it to me ;)

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I'm looking forward to whatever my DD will be making me for Mothers Day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Sandy on May. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Happy Mothers Day to all the mommas!! for me mothers day is about appreciating my mom and the scarifices she made to raise me and my siblings. I appreciate her even more now that I am a mom.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This year my MIL,SIL and neice are going out to lunch and a movie. There has been soo much hatred and strife between us in past years, we are really trying to connect to each other...So we'll see..I did tell the hubby I'd like a snowball bush or a magnolia tree or some crafty felt books and felt and more yarn...I'm a FOOL for yarn...  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80