Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Happy Mom's Day!

Posted by   + Show Post

I never really appreciated the significance of Mother's Day, until I became one myself. (I now wonder how they think just one day a year is enough!) When my brother and I were little, we would "surprise" my mom by decorating her room with pictures we colored; and we would tape balloons and streamers all over the walls and silly stuff like that. As we got older, we grew out of the decorating her room phase, and settled into getting her the traditional mother's day stuff--flowers, scarf, a picture--nothing very personal.

One year, when I was buying a card (last-minute), I picked up a refrigerator magnet that was at the checkout register. It said something sentimental about moms, so I threw that in with our usual flowers/scarf gift. When she opened the gift that year, the magnet made her cry. I didn't really get why at the time, but now I understand. My daughter is too young to get me a gift, or even to know that it's mother's day, but my husband is well aware.

I already predict flowers from the mail-order deal they've been advertising on his favorite sports talk radio channel. But I wouldn't mind something more personal, too. So hubby if you're listening, three things that would make this mom smile, and maybe even feel a bit appreciated: A necklace with our daughter's birthstone in it, a digital picture frame with family photos already loaded, or a totally for-me gift, the two-way coffeepot I've been thinking about since I first heard of it. And of course, a nice card would mean a lot to me, too. 

Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's out there! Tell us about what mother's day means to you, or what you would like for mother's day?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

A day that I have to do nothing and things are not just left for me to do the next day.

wandep
by Pam on May. 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

We'll be going to my parent's house in Ga for the mother/daughter banquet they have every year at their church. We'll also have lunch at my aunt/uncle's house on Sunday after church.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on May. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Thank you and same to you.  I today got my daughter's gift.  She painted a pot and planted a flower in it plus made me a card at her preschool.  Those are the best things ever. 

lasombrs
by Sara on May. 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Thank you and same to you. I would have liked at least a note colored on computer paper like the kdis made me a card. But sadly I got nothing. I would just like to be appreciated some times :(

Felicity532
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I had a wonderful Mother's Day. Breakfast in bed and a movie in the afternoon.

malexander2009
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Thank you I just wanted an afternoon with the kiddos and DH didn't get that had my MIL and DH's grandma with us.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
This was my favorite mothers day. My seven year old took her five dollars in dollar tree and bought me presents that she picked on her own.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
It means sharing it with my kids&husband!! Enjoying the day!
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Hmmm, of course it means that I have four beautiful kids that I will always love no matter what.

And it reminds me I'm a year older, because my birthday is the eighteenth, so....anyhow.  lol

amyjane22
by Amy on May. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM
To me, mother's day is about setting aside time in the day to enjoy your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN