Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you protest Mothers day???

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM
  • 36 Replies

This may seem like a bit too much to ask for, but Turlington Burns' “No Mothers Day” campaign is aiming to raise awareness of the issue of maternal mortality and help folks understand just how devastating the loss of a mother can be—especially to the families of the nearly 360,000 women who die each year globally due to complications in pregnancy and childbirth. Of those, 90 percent of the deaths are preventable. Turlington Burns’ Every Mother Counts, a maternal health advocacy and mobilization campaign founded in 2010, is sponsoring "No Mothers Day."

Plus: Celebrating Mother’s Day After Losing My Mom

The two-minute film (directed by Turlington Burns’ hubby Ed Burns) was made to encourage other moms to partake in this act of unity by using May 13, 2012 (Mother's Day) as a day to disappear. This means no phone calls, e-mails, gifts, and most of all, no status updates! The model and activist hopes that by doing this, everyone will see the absence that a woman leaves behind after dying during childbirth. She also hopes that this will bring more attention to maternal health so that more mothers can celebrate in the years to come.

Plus: Check Out Christy Turlington Burns’ Documentary No Woman, No Cry

How do you feel about this movement? Are you willing to sacrifice the one day out of the year dedicated to you to help thousands of other mothers around the world?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jpalmer
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I understand that its hard to celebrate mothers day when you have lost your mom...but mothers day for me is celebrating the fact that you are a mother!!! And celebrating that your mother gave you life and what all she has done for you...idk...i guess i don't see the reason to boycott it...what about you all???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by Kari on May. 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I agree.

Quoting jpalmer:

I understand that its hard to celebrate mothers day when you have lost your mom...but mothers day for me is celebrating the fact that you are a mother!!! And celebrating that your mother gave you life and what all she has done for you...idk...i guess i don't see the reason to boycott it...what about you all???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM
No. I do understand the point of the movement. I just don't see it as an effective means of getting the point across. I will not be boycotting anything. *shrug*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel the same way. I have friends who have lost their mothers and they use Mothers Day as a time to talk about and remember their mothers for their children and grandchildren

Quoting jpalmer:

jpalmer
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Lol...i didn't think you would boycott it...

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

No. I do understand the point of the movement. I just don't see it as an effective means of getting the point across. I will not be boycotting anything. *shrug*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubby and kids show me everyday that I am appreciated not just only one day a year. The kids and I show my husband the same appreciation everyday also. I have never understood why show that you appreciate someone only one day a year - like Valentine's Day.

dusky_rose
by Sue on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I agree, what is boycotting Mother's day really going to accomplish? Is it going to help those mothers that might die somehow?

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

jpalmer
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Exactly!!! And beautifully put!!!

Quoting alliesmom112:

I feel the same way. I have friends who have lost their mothers and they use Mothers Day as a time to talk about and remember their mothers for their children and grandchildren

Quoting jpalmer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I've lost my mom but the day still goes on because I AM A MOM, and there are other people I know that are moms. No, I wouldn't participate.

robsgurl_23
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM

my husband lost his mother last year and this is the first year with out her and we sure are going to celebrate and we are goign to visit her grave as part of the day. I hope when I am gone my kids still think of me on mothers day even tho I am no longer there. I will still celebrate it when my step mom are no longer here cause it will give me a reason to think about her. What about grandparents day should we boycott that due to people who's grandparents who have passed..or how about fathers day for the ones who have lost their father?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN