Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Which Side Are You On?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Mothers' Day is one day where I feel very, very lucky.  I went through two and a half years of infertility before finally getting pregnant with my daughter (her brother was much quicker about it but still took his sweet time). For many years, Mothers' Day was a tough one for me, a reminder of what I wanted so much and didn't have.

Now, not only do I get to celebrate being a mother to two of the most gorgeous, funny, sweet, intelligent people on the planet (really, they are!), but I'm lucky enough to have my own mom around to celebrate with. We live close, so we get to see each other a lot and usually do brunch (our favorite meal) at my house or hers for Mothers' Day.

For those of us who are lucky enough to spend the day with our moms, when do you shift from being the daughter on Mothers' Day to being the mother? My own mom has generously offered to host most years since my kids have come along; she says it's because she remembers  what it was like to have young children and wants to give me a break. But I kind of feel like she is Senior Mother and deserves to be pampered a little too. Of course, we'll probably make my dad and my husband clean up!

How do you celebrate your own mom on Mothers' Day?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM
2 moms liked this

SWEAT EQUITY--help her around the yard usually

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM

my mom has died... so i celebrate her by loving her and being a great mom to my own kids.

KristinRox
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:10 AM

My mom lives 1.5 hours away from me, and my mil lives just up the street from me. So we usually buy a nice gift for both of them, and then we take them to them. We have to split up our time between both of the houses. Well probably go out for lunch or something on the way to my mom's.. and thatll be part of my mothers day present... (I already got cirque de soleil tickets for tonight for mothers day). 

mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 10, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I don't.  She was abusive.

powow65
by kimmy on May. 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM

as sadly a "normal" day. 

Saille717
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I usually go out in the morning and have coffee and give my mom something and visit for a bit.  Then in the afternoon/evening I"m at home with my own family.  I make DH remember to go visit his mother.  

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

my mom lives in another country and have not seen her since i became a mom :-(

Rain2Rinse
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Usually we make a mothers day sandwich. It is all about me first thing in the morning. When I leave the house, it is all about my mothers grandmothers. When i return home, it is all about me again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I usually send her a card, she lives 5 hours away

Audreesmommy757
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

i pamper her(her being my mother in law!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN