Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Cook and Clean

Posted by   + Show Post

I don’t know about you, but I’m the first to admit that I’m not a neat cook (and my husband will be the quickest to concur). I use more pots than I need, more utensils than thought possible, and sauces and food jump out of the pot onto nearby walls, floors, and counters.

I have come to accept that I’m just not an organized cook, and have learned some shortcuts for easier clean-up. Here’s a few that might help you, too.

If a recipe calls for a lot of spices. I will measure everything out and put the ingredients in prep bowls, before I even start cooking. This makes cooking easier, and definitely cuts down on messy chaos.

Line the counter with paper towels or wax paper, and place the cutting board on top. This lets you easily catch all the pieces that slide off the board, and lets you all the chopped pieces I don’t want (onion skins, tops of peppers, etc.) and keeps the counter clean when I’m cutting up meat. (I do spray everything down when I’m done, too.)

Another simple, but effective, trick is to place the trash can within easy reaching distance. I move mine right next to the sink. It sounds strange, but I find myself throwing out more as I go when the trash is right there at my feet.

Another tip is to line the refrigerator doors with paper towels or paper/cork coasters. This way, when a drippy bottle makes its way back to the fridge, you only have to swap out one coaster for another and not scrub down shelving.

What’s your biggest kitchen-cleaning dilemma?

by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
BeachMommy07
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I honestly don't have a complaint. I have a small kitchen and I keep everything neat and clean by cleaning up after I cook (:

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Keeping my stove clean.  No matter how many times a day I wipe it down, someone will come behind me and cook something and not wipe it off.  It drives me bonkers!!!!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I am a messy cook too...I try to keep the trash can and clean up equipment nearby but it doesnt always work!

critter_boo
by Sarah on May. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Me too

Quoting tayanddyl:

I am a messy cook.  I try to be as neat as possible but it doesn't work

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on May. 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

hate that!

Quoting Samanthamommy:

That dishes are never ending, lol

wandep
by Pam on May. 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I just wish I had an updated kitchen cabinets. lol

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Quoting Samanthamommy:

That dishes are never ending, lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I try to clean as i go but its after the meal that I get very lazy, I tend to do dishes the next day.

sweetbamabrown
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

This is so me!!

Quoting tayanddyl:

I am a messy cook.  I try to be as neat as possible but it doesn't work

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I'm actually a pretty neat cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN