Group Home

Fun Ways to Spend Memorial Day

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

Fun Ways to Spend Memorial Day

From parades and picnics to other fun outdoor activities, we share our favorite ways to kick back, relax, and spend time with family and friends on Memorial Day.

The last Monday of May is a federal holiday that commemorates fallen United States soldiers. Celebrate Memorial Day by spending time outside with friends and family and remembering those who can't be with us. Here are a few of our favorite ways to spend Memorial Day:

Go to a Memorial Day Parade

On Memorial Day, watch marching bands, fun floats, and old-fashioned cars pass by in a festive parade. Whether you're in a small town or a big city, you'll likely have the chance to see a patriotic parade for Memorial Day. Most parades start midmorning, so bring enough lawn chairs for everyone in your group, and arrive early to get a good view.

Editor's Tip: Parade participants will often carry candy to throw to the crowd, so if you have little ones with you, give them a bucket to collect the sweets.

Have a Patriotic Picnic

If the weather cooperates on Memorial Day, pack a picnic basket and enjoy an outdoor meal with friends and family. Wraps, cold cut sandwiches, and easy-to-make snacks, such as salsa and cereal mixes, are perfect for a picnic. If you're staying outdoors all day, make sure you pack accordingly -- a baseball to toss around and sparklers for when the sun goes down are great ways to keep everyone entertained -- and don't forget the sunscreen and bug spray, too.

See our light and fresh picnic recipes.

Watch Fireworks on Memorial Day

Local firework displays are a special part of many patriotic holidays. Admiring these spectacular sky explosions are a great way to relax and wind down from a fun-filled afternoon. Bring a blanket large enough for your group or several folding lawn chairs and stake out your viewing spot before sundown. Fireworks displays usually start once it's dark -- around 8 or 8:30 p.m. in late spring -- but you'll want to arrive an hour or so in advance to find a spot (and parking!), especially if you have a large group.

Editor's Tip: Find out where your city has its fireworks display a few days in advance, and see if that area has spots for picnicking or grilling. Check your local paper or city website for services. 

Decorate Your Home in Red, White, and Blue

Here are a few easy ways to celebrate Memorial Day with patriotic decorations:

• Tie red-and-white fabric to your porch with blue string for a patriotic bunting.
  • Hang an American flag by your front door. If you have a flag pole, the Memorial Day tradition is to fly the American flag at half-staff from dawn until noon.
  • Purchase red, white, and blue pinwheels to add festive color to your outdoor potted plants.
  • Make an easy centerpiece with a blue table runner and white ceramic vases filled with bright red dahlias.
  • Pull together easy candle decorations in minutes with glass votives wrapped in alternating red, white, and blue rubber bands.

See more of our easy patriotic decorating ideas.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Cool...I'm hoping my honey goes camping with the guys, so I can spend lots of time on the puter..lol

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Nice! My oldest son b-day is May 30th we always have BBQ's!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tayanddyl
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

We may go to the beach

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I am hoping to get up to Arlington Cemetary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

We usually have a bbq.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

We usually go to the lake here where we live.

wandep
by Pam on May. 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

We normally go to my cousins house and have a cookout. She has a little blow up pool for the kids to play in and they have a great time.

PookaboosMom
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM
We will probably go to the lake and cookout
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aubsmom09
by Erin on May. 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM

We will either be going to a bbq at my friend's house or be at the family cabin.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Good ideas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. amyjane22
  2. ceciliam
  3. childofgod04
  4. suziejax
  5. mrswillie
  6. SweetLuci