why are they called pigtails?

Posted by   + Show Post

i've never seen a pig with a tail braided!  growing up around horses i understand where ponytail came from but never understood the term pigtail!!

so now you know something that's baffled me.  what's something that's baffled you?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
dusky_rose
by Sue on May. 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Here you go OP:

The term pigtail appears in English in the American colonies in the 17th century to describe a twist of chewing tobacco. One of the steps in processing the tobacco was to twist a handful of leaves together to form a compact bunch that would then be cured (dried, either with or without smoking). The term "pigtail" was applied to the bunch based on its resemblance to a twisted pig's tail.

From the later 17th century through the 19th century, the term came to be applied to any braided (plaited, in British parlance) hairstyle. The British army also adopted a single pigtail or "queue" as its standard dress for long hair.

Robert Louis Stevenson mentions "pigtail" referring to hair and then to "pigtail tobacco" in the first and fourth chapters of Treasure Island, respectively.[5]

Most dictionaries still define "pigtail" as a single tight braid. However, many American English speakers use the term to describe two symmetrical bunches of hair on either side of the head, braided or not. In some cases, the term only applies to unbraided hair. This usage of the term can be seen on personal and professional websites devoted to hairstyles or even by typing "pigtails" into a search engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigtail

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

lizzy-k
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Pig tails are when you pull it up and then curl the ends. Why does your nose run and your feet smell.. Just had to add it. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM
I thought so too.

Quoting mjimaging:

I think the saying is cart before the horse.

Quoting brownhoney21:

When someone says " your putting the horse before the cart" If the horse is not before the cart how can he pull it ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Lol!

Quoting brownhoney21:

Why thy call red heads carrot top. Carrot tops are green .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Why coach buses have carpets on their celings?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM
The phrase, It's neither here nor there. I use it but it's kinda strange.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Shawna on May. 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I don't usually braid pig tails, but I still don't know why they are called pig tails.  My daughter used to wear little pig tails on top of her head that held the front and side hair, but the rest of her hair was down.......we used to call them 'kitty tails' lol. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM

from wickipedia: (though it still makes no sense to me)

In the context of hairstyles, the usage of the term pigtail (twintail or twin tail) shows considerable variation.[1][2] According to most dictionaries, a pigtail is a braid of tightly woven hair.[3] The name is based on the short, thin and kinked tail of a pig, referring to the way a short, tight braid may stand out from the scalp through asymmetric tension of the weave. However, the term may also apply to a single braid regardless of length or tension, focusing instead on the knobby texture of the overall structure.

Alternatively, the plural term pigtails may be applied to a pair of two braids or ponytails on opposite sides of the head.[4] In British English the term "pigtail" or "pigtails" refers specifically to bunched hair that has been plaited (braided). In places where this usage is common, unplaited pairs are called bunches and a single bunch, regardless of position on the head, is called a ponytail.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Me either

Quoting proudmommy690:

what do you mean braided for pigtails? lol i dont braid pigtails.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

never thought about that one! ;o)

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Lol!

Quoting brownhoney21:

Why thy call red heads carrot top. Carrot tops are green .

SammiBaby
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM

If nothing ever sticks to teflon how do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: