Smarter Mom: Thank-You Note Survival

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

This past Saturday, I did probably the most annoying thing I have done in my seven-plus years of being a mom: I made my daughter write thank-you notes for her First Communion gifts. And oh.my.word was it the worst ever.

Mind you, I believe in thank-you notes. Love them. I like getting them and even like writing them. But making a whiny child do it? Ugh. However, I do think it's important to teach her at a young age to do it herself instead of just do the task for her.

What helped was having sort of a basic template: "Dear ___, Thank you for the __. I really liked (aspect of the gift), or in the case of money, "I will (save it/spend it on X thing I have always wanted, etc.). It was great to see you at my party. Love, __.  Uncomplicated, does the job, and she can handle it herself. The other thing that would have helped is letting her do them in smaller bits, but it was a small party (she only had, like, six) and we were kind of overdue in getting them out.

Now I just have to address them, stick on stamps and get them in the mail!

What's your go-to strategy for thank-you notes? Do you think they are important?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama032908
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I just write them for the kids!!! Lol
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I think they are super important.  I actually never got to send out my thank yous from my baby shower last year.  I was supposed to hand them out to everyone, but I started not feeling well and I had finals to study for and got distracted and kept forgetting them. I felt horrible about not sending them and I made sure to tell everyone thank you when I saw them so they didn't think I was lazy/rude.

I will be the one keeping track of who gives DS what at his 1st birthday in a month.  I don't trust anyone else to be incharge of that.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on May. 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM
I help my daughter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Sandy on May. 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now dd is only 3 so when we do thank you notes I usually write them out and she writes her name and draws a picture on them

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on May. 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Thank you notes are very important. I look at it as they took the time to get a gift or write a check. They least i can do is write out a thank you note and send it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I have to admit that I am bad about sending out thank you cards.   

momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM
I am too

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

I have to admit that I am bad about sending out thank you cards.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Most of the time we call.

powow65
by kimmy on May. 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

yes. tyvm! (i should write my SO a "thank you" note.)

BeachMommy07
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I value thank you notes it shows you really appreciate something that is given to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

What is your family's favorite springtime activity?