Group Home

Smarter Mom: Thank-You Note Survival

Posted by   + Show Post

This past Saturday, I did probably the most annoying thing I have done in my seven-plus years of being a mom: I made my daughter write thank-you notes for her First Communion gifts. And oh.my.word was it the worst ever.

Mind you, I believe in thank-you notes. Love them. I like getting them and even like writing them. But making a whiny child do it? Ugh. However, I do think it's important to teach her at a young age to do it herself instead of just do the task for her.

What helped was having sort of a basic template: "Dear ___, Thank you for the __. I really liked (aspect of the gift), or in the case of money, "I will (save it/spend it on X thing I have always wanted, etc.). It was great to see you at my party. Love, __.  Uncomplicated, does the job, and she can handle it herself. The other thing that would have helped is letting her do them in smaller bits, but it was a small party (she only had, like, six) and we were kind of overdue in getting them out.

Now I just have to address them, stick on stamps and get them in the mail!

What's your go-to strategy for thank-you notes? Do you think they are important?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Kuulou
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I write thank you notes for most everything, I think they're very important and is a huge networking tool.  I've used thank you notes for interviews, meetings, gifts....there's no harm and it leaves a positive impression with the receiver.

amy7243
by on May. 18, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I think they are great! I love to give and receive them.

wendums1229
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

I have to admit that I am bad about sending out thank you cards.   

me to :(

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If the kids are little I write them and have the kids draw a picture or something. As they get bigger I usually have them keep it simple, a few sentences.  If the gift was given in person and they were able to thank them in person I usually don't require a thank you note to be writen.  My son is horrible about saying it(he refuses to talk much unless he is around people for a while) so he had to write thank you notes to everyone from his birthday party

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I think they are important, esp when you invite someone to a gathering knowing they will bring gifts. Ive done them for showers and christenings, i dont do them for bdays. I just do a quick note saying thanks for the item and this is what it will be used for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Important? Yes. Pain in the butt? YES! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on May. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I don't really have a strategy but, I do think they are important.  Dh and I one year had such a great experience when we went out to dinner on our anniversary that we gave a huge tip and I went and got a thank you card and took it back to the restaurant.  I spoke to her manager and told them what a great server she was and asked for her.  She had tears in her eyes when I gave it to her.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I write them! Their annoying sometimes.
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I don't write them like I should, but I do call or message them and say thanks.

amyjane22
by Amy on May. 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I had my son sign his name on each one after his 5th birthday. I think thank you notes are important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80