Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Thank-You Note Survival

Posted by   + Show Post

This past Saturday, I did probably the most annoying thing I have done in my seven-plus years of being a mom: I made my daughter write thank-you notes for her First Communion gifts. And oh.my.word was it the worst ever.

Mind you, I believe in thank-you notes. Love them. I like getting them and even like writing them. But making a whiny child do it? Ugh. However, I do think it's important to teach her at a young age to do it herself instead of just do the task for her.

What helped was having sort of a basic template: "Dear ___, Thank you for the __. I really liked (aspect of the gift), or in the case of money, "I will (save it/spend it on X thing I have always wanted, etc.). It was great to see you at my party. Love, __.  Uncomplicated, does the job, and she can handle it herself. The other thing that would have helped is letting her do them in smaller bits, but it was a small party (she only had, like, six) and we were kind of overdue in getting them out.

Now I just have to address them, stick on stamps and get them in the mail!

What's your go-to strategy for thank-you notes? Do you think they are important?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I think thank you notes are very important. The day of they were allowed to play with their stuff-then the next day-I put everything in the middle of the dining room table ( that we don't use everyday) along with the thank you cards. They weren't allowed to play with anything till the notes were written. I helped with the wording when they were little. They started when they could just sign their name and progressed from there.

heathermichelle
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I usually don't send them out :(

fraujones
by Amanda on May. 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I think they are imortant, but I forget sometimes. 

maxswolfsuit
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Right now he just signs his name so it's not too bad. 

I like the suggestion of doing a few at a time. That has to help. 

LifeCafe42
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Right now I write them he signs them or we take a picture of him with the toy (he's 2) I think they should be sincere not just thank you for ___
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koolkidsmom
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

It's like pullling teeth to get them to do it. lol no strategy on my part.

koolkidsmom
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Also it seems that nobody makes their kids do it anymore.

pampire
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Thank you for keeping the traditiion alive!

mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 22, 2012 at 7:29 AM

My kids write them.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

they are nice to do...i like hand written ones best

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN