Smarter Mom: Thank-You Note Survival

Posted by   + Show Post

This past Saturday, I did probably the most annoying thing I have done in my seven-plus years of being a mom: I made my daughter write thank-you notes for her First Communion gifts. And oh.my.word was it the worst ever.

Mind you, I believe in thank-you notes. Love them. I like getting them and even like writing them. But making a whiny child do it? Ugh. However, I do think it's important to teach her at a young age to do it herself instead of just do the task for her.

What helped was having sort of a basic template: "Dear ___, Thank you for the __. I really liked (aspect of the gift), or in the case of money, "I will (save it/spend it on X thing I have always wanted, etc.). It was great to see you at my party. Love, __.  Uncomplicated, does the job, and she can handle it herself. The other thing that would have helped is letting her do them in smaller bits, but it was a small party (she only had, like, six) and we were kind of overdue in getting them out.

Now I just have to address them, stick on stamps and get them in the mail!

What's your go-to strategy for thank-you notes? Do you think they are important?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-54):
besosfantasies
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I love thank you notes! Though I've never received one.. lol. I think they're important because it shows appreciation.

mommyprice09
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

yeah

teesoloca
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM

i think they are super duper important.

My daughter has been doing them for bday gifts since she could write her name(1st year preschool).
It shows her to be thankful for things she gets and kindness.

LilMissCupcake
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

i usually dont do thank you notes i just say thanks online on facebook or sometimes ill send some out to older family members 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: