Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Checks. *edit*

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM
  • 56 Replies

It appears everytime I write a darn check, the business/person waits a week or longer before cashing/depositing it!! It makes me nervous and on edge, constantly paranoid about my finances. I know we have the funds and I know I'll have funds left over, but why do they WAIT over a week to cash my checks?! 

I got my windows tinted last Friday. I didn't have time to go to the ATM, I was in the ER the night before with ds. So I wrote a check for 150$. The jerk still hasn't cashed it! Argh!! & I no longer write a check for rent waiting for them to cash the 675$ check. I give them a cashiers check now. 

Ladies please remember that this is a RANT. I realize other things come into play, and yes I do know how to balance my ledger therefore I do not need advice on that. I'm ranting about the fact I wrote a check, and it's still a week or so later that it hasn't been cashed (regardless of the circumstances). I'm sure one or another has had the same feeling about this.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristinRox
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to hate that too. Now instead of me worrying about the bank account. Once Ive written the cheque, I consider the money no longer mine, and I work with only the money left in my account that is mine.

besosfantasies
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Whenever I spend I always take into account of the check. But I hate waiting for them to cash it. Jackson Hewitt waited a week and a half to cash theirs and I had completely forgot about it & caused us to be short lol

Quoting KristinRox:

I used to hate that too. Now instead of me worrying about the bank account. Once Ive written the cheque, I consider the money no longer mine, and I work with only the money left in my account that is mine.

tyfry7496
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
That's because businesses wait until they have a larger deposit because they are charged per deposit (at a lot of banks). I wait because I go to the bank when I have the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by Kari on May. 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Yup that's why. I always wait until I have a bunch. I run a roofing company.

Quoting tyfry7496:

That's because businesses wait until they have a larger deposit because they are charged per deposit (at a lot of banks). I wait because I go to the bank when I have the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on May. 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I don't know why some places do that.  I have the same issue with why some gas stations don't post the charge right away when we pay at the pump.  It's irritating.  While I also deduct I like my account up to date.  I get it.

bec94
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Depends when they make their deposits. They could wait 6 months if they wanted to. Just keep a check register, balance it once a week and you will be good :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bec94
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM
When you pay at the pump it depends on the system they use. Some take the money right away, others wait 3 days. Using it as a debit takes it out right away.

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I don't know why some places do that.  I have the same issue with why some gas stations don't post the charge right away when we pay at the pump.  It's irritating.  While I also deduct I like my account up to date.  I get it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM
I hate that I just keep and eye on my online banking till it clears
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on May. 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I'm not sure why but, they don't offer the debit option at the pump.  I wish they did.

Quoting bec94:

When you pay at the pump it depends on the system they use. Some take the money right away, others wait 3 days. Using it as a debit takes it out right away.

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

alliesmom112
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM

We do online bill pay for everything possible. I don't even know the last time we wrote a check

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)