Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legal ? regarding carseats

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM
  • 30 Replies

So the other day I'm driving down the raod and see maybe a three year old standing up in the back seat of a car looking out the window. I wish I had had my phone to call the police but I had left it at home that day. Then I started wondering if they do not have a carseat (as horrible as it is I know some people dont) what happens when the cop pulls them over? Surely they can't just say "okay here is a ticket go straight home and get a car seat" can they?

by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM
That would be child endangerment. I would think they would call cps and take the child. But in all honesty i'm not sure what they would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on May. 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I don't know because if they took the child it would still be riding without a seat to the station. I wonder if anyone knows?

JoshRachelsMAMA
by on May. 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Issue a ticket and have someone come to either the scene or to the station with a carseat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on May. 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I would hope in a perfect world that they should have to provide a carseat on scene or at the station but, no sure.  It's insane what people get away with.

Jaxs1
by on May. 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I wouldn't imagine so,
Could I give advice, as I work law and security.. If by chance you ever see that again, get as much information about. The car, make, model & license plate.. Mark what time you saw the car and if you can where..
Any information you can get, the better it is for the safety of that child who for no reason of their own could get hurt, or worse.. I hope this helps..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM

child endangerment. LIke the other posters have mentioned call the law with the plate number, etc. 

tayanddyl
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I was in a car accident when my son was 4 years old.  He was not in a carseat (I was young and didn't know any better)

The cop gave me a warning and let me leave.  I purchased a booster seat the next day. 

PookaboosMom
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM
I always wondered that too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That's what happened when I was a kid and my youngest brother didn't have one. We were stopped and the cop gave my parents a ticket. I'm not sure the exact fine or what the ticket said, but the cop just said to get a car seat as soon as possible. This was 20 years ago of course, so the laws have probably changed.

dusky_rose
by Sue on May. 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I think that they have car seats at the fire station for the needy? But I could be wrong, maybe they have them bring one to the scene?

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN