Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Kid Sun Safety

Posted by   + Show Post

Let the battle begin. There are few children I know that enjoy getting slathered in sunscreen lotion, and about just as many moms who enjoy doing it. However, if anyone wants to get outside this summer, it must be done.

Pediatricians say that babies under 6 months should steer clear of sunscreen. So if your child is this age, just keep exposure to direct sunlight to a minimum. Use the canopy on the stroller, or drape a thin gauzy blanket over them, and just try to keep them in the shade as much as possible.

When your child is ready for sunscreen, make sure it has an SPF of over 30, and it is broad spectrum, which protects from UVA and UVB rays. Some people love the sprays, but I find that they don't cover as well, and you have to put it on outdoors. Putting sunscreen on before you go out is ideal. 

For older kids, the key is distraction. Put the lotion on them in front of their favorite TV show, or while telling them a story they love. Start with the feet and work up, otherwise it's easy to lose track of what you've covered as they squirm around.

Make sure you get the bottom of their feet and in between their toes. Other overlooked spots include under clothes hems and bathingsuits. As they play, their clothes and bathingsuits are always shifting around, exposing skin to the sun. When it's time to do their faces, count to five. This way they know that by the time you get to 5 they're done. Don't forget ears, and if they won't wear a hat, get their scalp, too.

And of course, kids follow by example: Make sure you put on sunscreen, too.

What is your child's sunscreen routine?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

We are not best about doing it, but also try to limit our sun exposure during mid day. The kids actually do realy good with gettign sun screen on

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Put it on quick and go..

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM

i put it on before we head outside...we are trying to not stay out for more than an hour at a time tho...reapply as needed

powow65
by kimmy on May. 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM
yeppers! Sun-block ever 2hours!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I use the spray stuff i can do it really quickly and he doesn't realize it until it's too late lol

maxswolfsuit
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

We do lots of swimming in the evening to avoid the worst sun too.

RutterMama
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Great tips! This summer is going to be SO hot here... going to need sunscreen!

Kainalu55
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

i try to apply sunscreen before we leave the house

jendawn1
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM
This!

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

I make them drink lots of water!!! I also put sunscreen on before they get dressed, once they are outside playing, and then I continue to apply it throughout the day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM
I like the couting to 5.I'm also going to try it for getting her hair washed another struggle lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN