Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Picnic Time

Posted by   + Show Post

It's summer, and that means it's picnic time. You're not about to leave the lake/beach/park to have lunch are you? Nope. So lets get you armed with picnic necessities. Every mom knows eating picnic style isn't easy, and has its challenges, but if you get things organized now, the rest of the summer will be smooth sailing--or rather picnicing. 

If you're at the park/beach/lake, you need to pack efficiently. Get a tote with a lot of compartments; it makes it easier to keep organized. Keep it stocked with plastic utensils, plates, lots of wet wipes, bug spray, and trash bags. (Tip: Reuse bags you got at grocery store or drug store; they're small and are good for tying up discarded picnic goods.) This way you don't have to worry about this stuff every time you go out.

Get a blanket that's easy to wipe clean, and folds up compactly. If you have a lot of people, get two-it's better to have more room.   

For food and condiments that may sit out, like salads or potato chips, try the ‘food screens'. They pop up, so they are easy to store and don't take up a lot of room.  

Remember, you can picnic in your own backyard, too. The kid picnic table is a must-have for parents. It's a place outside that kids can eat, but it's also a great place to do messy crafts. Hose down when done.

Now Happy Picnicing!

Do you eat outside a lot in the summer, tell us about it!

by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Good ideas. We don't picnic much, but the kids love to have lunch out in the yard some times.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

we dont eat outside much....dont like bugs lol

amy7243
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM

We do eat outside often. We have a campsite in our woods that we eat at all the time.

wandep
by Pam on May. 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The weather is too hot here in the summer time. if we do eat outside its on our screen porch with a ceiling fan. :)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

the kids & i do allot of picnic lunches, pretty much all year, benefits to living in the south!  hubby's idea of eating outside is the patio at a restuarant.  we do go to the free movies & concerts the local parks have by us in the summer & to stone mountain for the light show often.  we'll pack lots of snacks for those outings.

i have a big tarp that we'll put down under our blanket, that way if the ground is a bit damp the blanket & us will stay dry.  i recently just bought a wagon to help transport the blankets & cooler so we don't have to carry them.  it's a cool little wagon that folds up & store nicely in the back of the van.  it's made of heavy duty canvas & holds up to 150lb so when my little guy gets tired we can put him in it.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Yes we eat outside alot. We have a portable table and extra folding chairs we take with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on May. 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Love the food screens! We eat on the deck once in awhile. I want to take the girls on a few picnics this summer. 

momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I love picnics but we rarely have them.  

mommyprice09
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM

we love picnics

powow65
by kimmy on May. 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM
we are now eating alot more out-side b/c we got a grill!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN