Group Home

i've never had one.  no need since i can't wear polish, i'm constantly washing my hands & having them in sanitizer.  (i'm a lunch lady at my kids school)  so i don't have a clue what all they involve.  i would imagine more than file & polish.  my question is this; do they do anything for the cuticles?  trim them? push them back? etc. 

the reason i'm asking is that my 8 1/2 year old has a really bad habit of picking at her nails.  she doesn't bite them but she'll pick at them & half the time she doesn't realize she does it.  they are in such bad shape.  hardly a nail on any finger but the cuticles are the worst.  i hate to look at her fingers they look so bad. 

i was thinking of getting her a manicure to get her cuticles in shape but wasn't sure if they do such when you get your nails done. 

by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Juanita679
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM
BUMP!

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

They will probably push the cuticles back. However, constant chewing on cuticles, can ruin the nail bed and your daughter could end up ruining her nails.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM
DD goes every 2 weeks. They never push her cuticles back, though they do for me. They file,massage, oil, clip anything loose an ragged, and then paint them.

Why is she picking at her nails? Nervous habit, something else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Quoting lizzig:

i have, for the last 5 years.  we've tried everything we could think of & everything that's been suggested to us but nothing works.

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

not to get her to stop picking at them no.  i know that.  i just think it may help them not look so bad.

Quoting mrswillie:

I don't think that is the solution

I guess what I am saying is I would try to find a way to get her to stop picking them.  If a manicure did make them look better it would only be a temp fix.  I would try to approach the problem.

How old is she?

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

she doesn't bite/chew on them just picks at them. 

Quoting ceciliam:

They will probably push the cuticles back. However, constant chewing on cuticles, can ruin the nail bed and your daughter could end up ruining her nails.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

no clue why she started doing it, she was about 3ish when she did.  she's 8 1/2 now.  wish i knew why so i could help her stop.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

DD goes every 2 weeks. They never push her cuticles back, though they do for me. They file,massage, oil, clip anything loose an ragged, and then paint them.

Why is she picking at her nails? Nervous habit, something else?

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

8 1/2

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

i have, for the last 5 years.  we've tried everything we could think of & everything that's been suggested to us but nothing works.

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

not to get her to stop picking at them no.  i know that.  i just think it may help them not look so bad.

Quoting mrswillie:

I guess what I am saying is I would try to find a way to get her to stop picking them.  If a manicure did make them look better it would only be a temp fix.  I would try to approach the problem.

How old is she?

mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting lizzig:

8 1/2

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting mrswillie:

How old is she?

Have you considered giving her an incentive, like a reward to work for?  Start out with a short term like going 2 days without.  Let her pick the reward she will be working for.  Set the reward at the beginning so she clearly knows what she is working for.

Then you can give her suggestions on reaching that goal.  Maybe try it on a weekend you can stay home and suggest she can wear gloves to help.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

yep, doesn't help

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

8 1/2

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting mrswillie:

How old is she?

Have you considered giving her an incentive, like a reward to work for?  Start out with a short term like going 2 days without.  Let her pick the reward she will be working for.  Set the reward at the beginning so she clearly knows what she is working for.

Then you can give her suggestions on reaching that goal.  Maybe try it on a weekend you can stay home and suggest she can wear gloves to help.

tayanddyl
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM

They will not cut the cuticles, my daughters (9 and 4) get them all the time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys