Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Consignment Store Hunting

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 63 Replies

It is not cheap to dress kids. They grow fast, blow through sizes like the wind (my son spent like 18 months in 2T and about a week in 3T) and invariably are the wrong size in the wrong season if you have by some stroke of luck managed to stockpile some hand-me-downs or bought ahead at end-of-season clearance sales.

One way to save on name-brand clothes is consignment stores. At these, you can sell your outgrown kids' clothes that are in good condition and get store credit or cash. I find these are not always great money-savers; between clearance sales, regular sales and special offers I find I can save more on brand-new clothes. But let's say your child transitions into a new size in, say, April; it's not warm enough yet to buy a bunch of shorts or play skirts in their new size, but they're only going to be in cool-weather clothes for a few weeks, most likely, so you don't want to buy warm sweaters and cozy pants for just a short few week's wear. And even if you did, regular stores have shifted to summer merchandise. That's a good time to hit the consignment stores.

If you don't have one near you, check out ThredUp; you can buy used clothes for a fraction of what they would cost new or send in a bag of your child's nicest used clothes and get cash or credit.

Do you shop consignment stores? What good finds have you come across?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kainalu55
by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:47 AM

we don't have any good consignment stores here, but I LOVE shopping at yard sales for clothes for the kids!!

Karissa_ruiz
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:02 AM
We take a lot of hand me downs. My dd is 1 in June, but her cousin is almost exactly a year older. I grew up on goodwill and got a lot of good clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 24, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I love them!  We have a couple here that sell higher priced items.

Strega
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I have shopped them in the past, but a Friend just opened up her own one---only high end Clothes at fantastic prices. I went to her pre-Opening (for Friends & Family only) and scored quite a few awesome outfits for our Kids.

She just got more things in, so I'll be hitting her place up again this Weekend!

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Garage sales are the best place to get great deals!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

i love going to consignment stores for the kids (never find anything there for me)  i'll take in their outgrown clothes, toys, books & cds & get credit for new.  my daughter loves looking through their books (one we go to often has a large book selection) & little guy loves looking at the toys of course.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I need to go ! LOL !

I am in the market for some things ... I need ren fair stuff , and costumes ( knight & king ), and I also need some wooden tv trays. :)

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I love to shop thrift stores and yard sales. Yesterday I got some great stuff at  Salvation army. I also love clearance sales. My 2 1/2 year old is already out growing 4t so it is a great way to save money

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I don't very often. We get a lot of hand me downs from friends and I buy off of sale racks at stores.
Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Quoting momofsixangels:

Garage sales are the best place to get great deals!

I like garage sales so much better than consignment shops.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN