Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Books you loved as a child?

Posted by   + Show Post

What was your favorite novel as a young adult or late elementary school student?

I teach fourth grade and I'm always looking for books to add to my list. 

by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Replies (61-69):
Hazelnutkin
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I loved a book called Baby Island. Not sure of the author. Also, I loved Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and Mary Poppins.

maxswolfsuit
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I looked it up on Amazon. It's looks pretty cute. I will have to try and find a copy. 

Quoting HerNameIsStego:

I have a copy of it now for my six year old DS that I read to him at night. It's by  Bruce Coville.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting HerNameIsStego:

The Monsters of Morely Manor was my favorite book at that age.

I've never heard of it. I will have to check it out. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

The Diary of Anne Frank. Once I read that I got hooked on the Holocaust & read everything my mom would let me on the subject. 

Have ever read Night? It's Elie Wiesel's first hand account of time spent in a concentration camp. Incredibly powerful. 

Yes! My mom didn't let me read that one till I was in High School but it is one of my favorites. 

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Mists of Avalon might be a little tough for typical 4th graders.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

How old are kids in the 4th grade? When I was 11, my favorite book was the mists of Avalon.

Usually about 9 or 10. So what you like at 11 is great for fourth grade. Close enough. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Christa on May. 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM
the box car kids and baby sitters club! loved both!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HerNameIsStego
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

It's quite an adventure and when I was younger I used to read it over and over again, that and Matilda.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I looked it up on Amazon. It's looks pretty cute. I will have to try and find a copy. 

Quoting HerNameIsStego:

I have a copy of it now for my six year old DS that I read to him at night. It's by  Bruce Coville.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting HerNameIsStego:

The Monsters of Morely Manor was my favorite book at that age.

I've never heard of it. I will have to check it out. 

chiquis
by on May. 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I also loved the little house series!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dontchawishuknu
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM
The Diary of Trilby Frost.....I don't know the author's name. And I have been looking for it for years. I'd love to find it and buy it just for me, at almost 41, because I checked it out of the library goodness knows how many times as a young girl.
meagansmommy07
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 3:40 AM
Have you ever heard of Sideways Stories From Wayside School? That book was the most read in my class from 3rd-5th grade. We use to fight to check.it.out of the class library. There's also two more sequels to the book I just can't think of the names right now, but they're really good too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)