Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What I Do For a Living (Pics)

So every time someone asks what we moms do for a living I say that I am a fiber artist. This has lead some ladies to think I am dealing in the whole grain fiber as a nutrionalist. No. I say I spin and they think I ride a bike in a dark room with loud music. No.

I make yarn on a spinning wheel. Remember the evil piece of furniture that knocked out Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty? Yep that is it. Just like Rumpelstilskein. I take wool or another fiber and spin it into beautiful yarn and sell it. I thought I would share what I do so you ladies could truly get it. I am a handspinner/fiber artist who works from home and sells to local boutiques and on Etsy.

I got some great pics with this one that I wanted to share. This yarn is Targhee which is my absolute favorite fiber to work with.

So here is the roving ready to be spun

And this is it on my bobbin

And here is the two ply yarn all washed and set

This is 300 yards of worsted weight yarn

I am definately keeping this skein for my own personal stash. I must buy more of this fiber. I know this will be a hit in the store.

by on May. 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Replies (11-17):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM

that is beautiful yarn!!  i'd love to be talented enough to do something with such but my creativity is limited to baking & occasionally drawing.

critter_boo
by Sarah on May. 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Co very pretty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM
People still do that?!?! So cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Oh wow that is cool. That yarn is also really beautiful.

black.eyeliner
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM
I have been spinning for two years. I have been crocheting since I was 3 (so 30 years) and knitting for 8 years. My family is artists and got me hooked on yarn early on. I learned to spin because two ladies offer to teach our knitting group for free. It seemed interesting. Living in MA I am in the center of the fiber mecha of the USA. There are sheep and alpacas everywhere. Now spinning is like breathing. It is so therapeutic. I find peace seated at my wheel.

Quoting mamivon2:

thats cool.. how long have you been doing that and why?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Very cool!!

Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

You are a rare breed my friend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN