Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Teacher Gifts

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

If school isn't out for your kids yet, it will be soon. The end of the year is bearing down on us! And along with all the end-of-year activities like honors assemblies and field days, there is one very important thing to think about: the gift for your child's teacher.

Maybe you're lucky and everyone chips in for a gift, but more than likely you or your child has to figure something out. I've talked to lots of teachers about this, and the consensus is: Gifts are not expected, but nice to have and much appreciated....and, please, lose the apple motifs.

I've given my children's teachers gift cards to Starbucks or to a bookstore with a nice note saying I hope this will buy them a treat to relax with after a long year. Teacher friends have told me that they really appreciated a gift card to a restaurant or something handmade by a student. And almost all teachers say their most treasured gifts have been notes from their students thanking them for something specific they taught them.

What are you getting your child's teacher? If you are a teacher, what have been your favorite gifts?

by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lynnd4
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
We gave Tervis Tumblers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM

homemade dark chocolate espresso brownies with pecans

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM

We didn't have any extra money to do anything for them.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 31, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Nothing this year

powow65
by kimmy on May. 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM
zgasp!* i gotta give the teacher a gift?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM
I was hoping to do a gift this year but we unexpectedly had to go out of state & dd missed the last week of school. We did chip in for the group gift tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on May. 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Flowers or chocolates. I'll ask my daughter what she wants to give :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Starbucks gift cards.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM

i've never done end of year gifts.  we give them gifts at christmas & during teacher appreciation week, which is only a few weeks before the end of school.  oh, the class also does a b-day gift for them.

since i work at the school i get to know their teachers pretty well.  i can get them something a bit more personal then they'd get from the rest of their students.  or we'll get them something they really want for their classroom.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I never thought about it...DS is onlly 2.5, but this is a great post to get some ideas :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN