Smarter Mom: Teacher Gifts

Posted by   + Show Post

If school isn't out for your kids yet, it will be soon. The end of the year is bearing down on us! And along with all the end-of-year activities like honors assemblies and field days, there is one very important thing to think about: the gift for your child's teacher.

Maybe you're lucky and everyone chips in for a gift, but more than likely you or your child has to figure something out. I've talked to lots of teachers about this, and the consensus is: Gifts are not expected, but nice to have and much appreciated....and, please, lose the apple motifs.

I've given my children's teachers gift cards to Starbucks or to a bookstore with a nice note saying I hope this will buy them a treat to relax with after a long year. Teacher friends have told me that they really appreciated a gift card to a restaurant or something handmade by a student. And almost all teachers say their most treasured gifts have been notes from their students thanking them for something specific they taught them.

What are you getting your child's teacher? If you are a teacher, what have been your favorite gifts?

by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM

not sure if anything-we may not-we have in the past and we give through out the year-

eviesmom453
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I give Target gift cards

thehickinhickor
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM

she is not in school yet

Karissa_ruiz
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:35 AM
No kids in school yet but my MIL is a teacher
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM
ds will be leaving his therapist he has had for almost 2 years to start pre k in august. I want to buy her a gift but dont know what yet. we are very tight on cash. but she is amazing and under paid and i think she buys her own therapy toys. so maybe a gift card to a thift shop for children so she can buy a ton of new items at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jun. 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

give them gift cards to dollar store so they can get supplies or to any store

slw123
by Shawna on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM

We made candy bouquets with a gift card sticking out the top.

smorekids
by Jenny on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Since money was kinda tight & we had so many Teacher's & the Bus Driver, that is 12 people. I just bought 2, 6 pks of soda I am using Orange & Grape Crush. And bought ribbon & some sticker's & colored paper. I am going to put a tag & ribbon on each soda, the tag is going to say "I'm SODA lighted that you were my Teacher this year" got the idea from pinterest. If I remember to take pics i'll post one. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

We gave a few things. One was a digital scrapbooking page

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: