Group Home

Smarter Style: Look Good in the Garden

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Gardening season is in full swing and I have some tough work ahead of me this weekend -- we just built a huge raised bed in our front yard, which means lots of raking, digging, transplanting and hauling around of heavy rocks.

But just because I am going to be sweaty and dirty doesn't mean I can't also be stylish. Here's some cute looks to protect your head, hands and feet.

How stylin' are these garden clogs? They're sturdy enough to help you push with your foot to get  through tough soil with a shovel, and cute enough you'll be happy to wear them to pop out to the garden center. (Sloggers, $32.99).

You need a hat to protect your scalp and face from the sun.....this paper and straw number is cheap, effective, won't make you all sweaty, and has a certain flair. (Kmart, $9.99)

These garden gloves are soooo cool with their paisley print, and as someone who has nursed scratches and insect bites on my arms from gardening, I love the longer length. (Womanswork, $29.99).

Are you a gardener? What's your favorite piece of gear?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I pick out the flowers but DH plants them.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I have a black thumb I kill things just by looking at them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I am not a gardener, my DH does all that.  Ohh wait I do water the garden, does that count?  :-)

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:13 AM
I am not, but hope to be one when we get our own house. DF wants a raised one too. Can't wait for it!

I do like those gloves and I want a wide brimmed hat too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

LMAO!  To me looking good in the garden is a waste of money.  I garden to save money.  I grow herbs and veggies.  If I can get garden gloves that work well, that aren't in style i'm gain. I also keep my old tennis shoes as work shoes. I'm not out to impress anyone while working.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Every thing I try to grow dies.

powow65
by kimmy on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM
i am a gardener & i really would love to have some gardening gloves!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Christa on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM
i dont garden
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I just go out in tannk tops and shorts...I do my planting early evening and watering in the early morning...I hate gloves..I like to feel the dirt on my ands and the smell is devine.... 

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I agree!  The stuff above is very nice and looks good, but costs more than most of the things I wear for going out to the store, etc.  I wear old shoes--Crocs, sandels, etc. and T-shirts and capris or jeans that aren't quite nice enough to wear in public.  I sit and scoot when I pull weeds, etc. because I can't kneel, so get really grubby.  I forget to wear gloves half the time too.  I do like a good hat, have a coupe I bought on clearance at Westlake's Ace Hardware for 75 cents each!

Quoting mrswillie:

LMAO!  To me looking good in the garden is a waste of money.  I garden to save money.  I grow herbs and veggies.  If I can get garden gloves that work well, that aren't in style i'm gain. I also keep my old tennis shoes as work shoes. I'm not out to impress anyone while working.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.