Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cafemom saved my eyesight.

Posted by   + Show Post

On February 18th of this year some of the wonderful mom's here on Cafemom helped to save my eyesight.

I had noticed that my eyesight was wonky, but I never ever stopped to figure out what the issue was. Finally one day as I was sitting reading (the hunger games) I noticed that when I was reading the bottom of the page I had no peripheral vision of the top of the page. It was like there was a curtain in front of the top part of my eyes. I didnt freak out, but I was curious. So I came on Cafemom and went to a group that Ive been a part of for a long time. I love those girls like I love my family. Anyway. I told them of my symptoms, and they told me that it was an emergency thing. I thought that I had time to wait for a doctors appointment 2 weeks later. Those girls begged me to go get checked out. While I thought they were blowing things out of proportion, it peaked my curiousity even more. I called my optometrist, he didnt want to see me, and told me to go to the ER. I called the emergency room to find out if they thought it was an emergency. When the girl told me to stop what I was doing and get in the car and come straight to the hospital. I took it seriously.

2 days later I was on an operating table hours away from my home getting eyesight saving surgery. I had a detached retina.

If I had not been a part of Cafemom I would have waited for a doctors appointment scheduled for 2 weeks later. I wouldnt have been alarmed. I know for sure I would have lost my eyesight waiting for that appointment, without those girls. 

There are no words to say THANK YOU enough to those women. Cafemom is a wonderful place, full of some fantastic moms. This is just one of the many reasons I love it so much here.

To the girls on the porch.. THANK YOU FOR MY EYESIGHT.. Ill NEVER BE ABLE TO SAY THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

JOIN US ON:

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Replies (161-170):
nangel4u
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM
That's very touching I hope you feel better :-)
azpreemiemom
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Wow. That is wonderful. What symptoms were you having?

mylilprincesses
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Yay for the ladies who helped you on here. its reassuring there are still supporting and helpful moms on this website.

KristinRox
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

The only symptoms that I had was that it seemed like there was a shadow over my eye. When I was reading the book I could see the words at the top of the page, but not at the top. So I started danging things in front of my face from above. I could see anything until it was right in the center of my eye. A lot of people see floaters and flashing light.. I didnt have that happen to me until AFTER the surgery. 

Quoting azpreemiemom:

Wow. That is wonderful. What symptoms were you having?

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel much better. Thank you :0)

Quoting nangel4u:

That's very touching I hope you feel better :-)

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You had a detached retina for 5 years???????? Im surprised that you didnt go blind. When I first noticed it was happening to me it was at the top of my vision, by the time I got to the bigger hospital the next day.. it had peeled off to the center of my vision. I was very close to only being able to seeing things below me. 

Wow. Its quite a long road to go down. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i had the surgery in 2007 about 2 months after my now ds4 was born. But i lived like that for 5 years because i was stupid

Quoting KristinRox:

I was just saying this to the ophthalmologist yesterday... that Im lucky that it didnt happen to my side vision, or my downward vision. The peripheral vision upwards in that eye is no more.. Ill never have that back. The vision I do have is 20/20 (with a new perscription in my lenses) though. Whereas at first I couldnt see anything at all. Things are a bit wavy, and I also see big black blobs (that I think are bugs if I see them out of the corner of my eye) aand 14 tiny little bubbles once in a while.. but with a new perscription for my glasses.. itll be great. 

Im so sorry that youre story is a lot different then mine. I wish you would have had a better outcome. How long ago did this happen to you? 

Quoting mommysangelface:

you are lucky to have full vision in your eye. I have to wear glasses with a special lense to protect my eye and i am legally blind in it. i have no side vision. I cannot make out letters or shapes. I can see black blobs. 

Im glad what happened to me didnt happen to you

Quoting KristinRox:

That was my worst fear.. that I would have to have another surgery. The chances of another surgery after something like that is pretty high. Thankfully I have no cataracts, and instead of taking 8 months to heal.. Im healed in 3... With correction I have a full 20/20 vision. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i had a detached retina and had it reattached and then i had to have 3 more surgeries to remove cataracts

JOIN US ON:

mommysangelface
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM

i am blind in one eye

it was the top of my vision as well. 

Quoting KristinRox:

You had a detached retina for 5 years???????? Im surprised that you didnt go blind. When I first noticed it was happening to me it was at the top of my vision, by the time I got to the bigger hospital the next day.. it had peeled off to the center of my vision. I was very close to only being able to seeing things below me. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i had the surgery in 2007 about 2 months after my now ds4 was born. But i lived like that for 5 years because i was stupid

Quoting KristinRox:

I was just saying this to the ophthalmologist yesterday... that Im lucky that it didnt happen to my side vision, or my downward vision. The peripheral vision upwards in that eye is no more.. Ill never have that back. The vision I do have is 20/20 (with a new perscription in my lenses) though. Whereas at first I couldnt see anything at all. Things are a bit wavy, and I also see big black blobs (that I think are bugs if I see them out of the corner of my eye) aand 14 tiny little bubbles once in a while.. but with a new perscription for my glasses.. itll be great. 

Im so sorry that youre story is a lot different then mine. I wish you would have had a better outcome. How long ago did this happen to you? 

Quoting mommysangelface:

you are lucky to have full vision in your eye. I have to wear glasses with a special lense to protect my eye and i am legally blind in it. i have no side vision. I cannot make out letters or shapes. I can see black blobs. 

Quoting KristinRox:

That was my worst fear.. that I would have to have another surgery. The chances of another surgery after something like that is pretty high. Thankfully I have no cataracts, and instead of taking 8 months to heal.. Im healed in 3... With correction I have a full 20/20 vision. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i had a detached retina and had it reattached and then i had to have 3 more surgeries to remove cataracts

KristinRox
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Oh wow. They told me that the hole in my retina was at the "5:30 mark".. which is a bad place for it to be because I guess thats a place thats has a hard time healing? Did you have to walk with your head down.. and sleep on your face with your head pointing towards your toes too? 

Quoting mommysangelface:

i am blind in one eye

it was the top of my vision as well. 

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting mommysangelface:

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting mommysangelface:

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting mommysangelface:

JOIN US ON:

sucker4myloves
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

That's amazing and very sweet, and nice to hear something good about support from cafemom! I'm glad you had friends to poke you into going!

enchantedmoon
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
This are the kind of things that giver hope. There is so much good out there, and people do care, and we as women do help eachother, contrary to popular belief! I'm so happy for you and for cafe mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN