Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: 5 Beat-the-Heat Hairstyles

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 50 Replies

While summer has so far been beautifully mild, those days of dripping humidity are on the way...and they are no friend to your hairstyle. It can go from sleek and lovely to "bad-perm frizzy" in like three seconds of outdoor exposure. The key is to find casual, cute summer styles that take very little time, let you skip the blow dryer and keep your hair up off your neck.

1) The fake-out bun: If your hair is too short or thin for a bun, pull it up into a ponytail, separate hair into sections, twist them, and secure the ends to your head with bobby pins.

2) The sleek ponytail: Pull your hair into a ponytail at the crown of your head with all your hair contained. Pull a section of hair around the ponytail to hide the elastic. Rub a little gel into your palms and run it over your head to secure fly-aways.

3) The tousle: If your hair is wavy and short-ish, sometimes just working with the texture is the best thing you can do. When hair is wet, run an anti-frizz serum through it and scrunch with your fingers to encourage waves. When it's dry melt a little styling pomade between your palms, flip your hair over and run the pomade through the roots at the crown. Flip back up and play with it, using more pomade if need be, until it looks like you've just woken up from a great sleep (dream on, right?).

4) The curls: Starting with wet hair, apply a curl-enhancing spray, gel or mousse. Twist your hair util it twists back around on itself and wrap ends around; pin to secure. Use small sections and do this all over your head. Let dry, unpin and you'll have gorgeous waves.

5) The fishtail braid: This is a super-popular style right now, although its best for thick hair...luckily that's the hair type most likely to need some containment in the heat. Gather your hair to the side or back of your head and divide into two sections. Hold both sections in one hand (use your pointer to separate them) and take a little hair from the outside of one section. Pull that over to the other half and add it to the inside of the other section, then do the same with the second section. Continue until you're at the end. The nice thing is, the messier this looks, the better.

What's your go-to summer hairstyle?

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I wear the mama bun lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Sarah on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyprice09
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

i like braids

hfaddis
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

mine is short, but just long enough to pull into a ponytail if i want =) perfect to wear up or down since i had it thinned a bit when i had it cut last 

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I wear elastic headbands, super easy and I like no maintenance style.

chiquis
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM
pony tail lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I always cut my hair short for summer

powow65
by kimmy on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM
dirty bun or a pony-tail. But tyvm for the info hun. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malexander2009
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM
I keep my hair in a ponytail. My hair is uber thick and down to my backside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I like to keep my hair short... If I can tie it up it's too long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)