While summer has so far been beautifully mild, those days of dripping humidity are on the way...and they are no friend to your hairstyle. It can go from sleek and lovely to "bad-perm frizzy" in like three seconds of outdoor exposure. The key is to find casual, cute summer styles that take very little time, let you skip the blow dryer and keep your hair up off your neck.
1) The fake-out bun: If your hair is too short or thin for a bun, pull it up into a ponytail, separate hair into sections, twist them, and secure the ends to your head with bobby pins.
2) The sleek ponytail: Pull your hair into a ponytail at the crown of your head with all your hair contained. Pull a section of hair around the ponytail to hide the elastic. Rub a little gel into your palms and run it over your head to secure fly-aways.
3) The tousle: If your hair is wavy and short-ish, sometimes just working with the texture is the best thing you can do. When hair is wet, run an anti-frizz serum through it and scrunch with your fingers to encourage waves. When it's dry melt a little styling pomade between your palms, flip your hair over and run the pomade through the roots at the crown. Flip back up and play with it, using more pomade if need be, until it looks like you've just woken up from a great sleep (dream on, right?).
4) The curls: Starting with wet hair, apply a curl-enhancing spray, gel or mousse. Twist your hair util it twists back around on itself and wrap ends around; pin to secure. Use small sections and do this all over your head. Let dry, unpin and you'll have gorgeous waves.
5) The fishtail braid: This is a super-popular style right now, although its best for thick hair...luckily that's the hair type most likely to need some containment in the heat. Gather your hair to the side or back of your head and divide into two sections. Hold both sections in one hand (use your pointer to separate them) and take a little hair from the outside of one section. Pull that over to the other half and add it to the inside of the other section, then do the same with the second section. Continue until you're at the end. The nice thing is, the messier this looks, the better.
What's your go-to summer hairstyle?
Pens, pencils, markers, etc.