Group Home

Smarter Style: 5 Beat-the-Heat Hairstyles

Posted by   + Show Post

While summer has so far been beautifully mild, those days of dripping humidity are on the way...and they are no friend to your hairstyle. It can go from sleek and lovely to "bad-perm frizzy" in like three seconds of outdoor exposure. The key is to find casual, cute summer styles that take very little time, let you skip the blow dryer and keep your hair up off your neck.

1) The fake-out bun: If your hair is too short or thin for a bun, pull it up into a ponytail, separate hair into sections, twist them, and secure the ends to your head with bobby pins.

2) The sleek ponytail: Pull your hair into a ponytail at the crown of your head with all your hair contained. Pull a section of hair around the ponytail to hide the elastic. Rub a little gel into your palms and run it over your head to secure fly-aways.

3) The tousle: If your hair is wavy and short-ish, sometimes just working with the texture is the best thing you can do. When hair is wet, run an anti-frizz serum through it and scrunch with your fingers to encourage waves. When it's dry melt a little styling pomade between your palms, flip your hair over and run the pomade through the roots at the crown. Flip back up and play with it, using more pomade if need be, until it looks like you've just woken up from a great sleep (dream on, right?).

4) The curls: Starting with wet hair, apply a curl-enhancing spray, gel or mousse. Twist your hair util it twists back around on itself and wrap ends around; pin to secure. Use small sections and do this all over your head. Let dry, unpin and you'll have gorgeous waves.

5) The fishtail braid: This is a super-popular style right now, although its best for thick hair...luckily that's the hair type most likely to need some containment in the heat. Gather your hair to the side or back of your head and divide into two sections. Hold both sections in one hand (use your pointer to separate them) and take a little hair from the outside of one section. Pull that over to the other half and add it to the inside of the other section, then do the same with the second section. Continue until you're at the end. The nice thing is, the messier this looks, the better.

What's your go-to summer hairstyle?

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
wandep
by Pam on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I cut mine in layers. I did have it back in a pony tail but when I had it trimmed its too short now.

MrsTBailey
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I put my hair in a messy ponytail because my hair is long layered and my bangs are slowly getting to the same length as the rest of my hair. Thanks for sharing i may try the fishtail braid soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM

up high pony tail

mommythree0508
by Corinne on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Quoting alliesmom112:

I always cut my hair short for summer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM
Right now a short pony
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:02 AM

I have short hair so I like the tousled look.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:58 AM

That gal in the picture needs to be introduced to my good friend Smoothing/Anti-Frizz products. If they work on my 'fro where I live (100% humidity anyone?) they'll work on anyone. I use Aveda Be Curly style prep, the straight hair version of that is Smooth Infusion. Works wonders.

brit0813
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Same. it's about chin length

Quoting alliesmom112:

I always cut my hair short for summer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Ponytail or down
KristinRox
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Im a number 4 kind of girl. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.