Group Home

Smarter Mom: Vacation Packing

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

We lucked into a few days at a house in my favorite beach town (South Haven, MI) for later this month, and I cannot WAIT. Swimming, grilling, beach picnics, sunsets....bring it ON.

Of course, with all that comes packing. In previous years we've gone with my whole family, so I could stash some things in my parents' big SUV....after all, they don't have car seats in the back! This year, it's just us, so we are going to be cramming everything into every inch of our small wagon.

I have a huge tendency to overpack and conveniently forget they actually have stores there if we run out of sunblock or break a flip-flop. This year, due to our limited space, I am forcing myself to go minimalist. It's much easier because my kids are older and no longer require the pack-and-play, bouncer, etc. And this is also our first year where no one is in diapers, so hurray!

My must-haves are: multiple swimsuits for all so there's always a dry one, a soft-sided cooler bag for beach picnics, more beach towels than I think we could possibly ever need plus a few extra, and sunscreen that doesn't make my daughter's sensitive skin break out in a rash (the rest of us can buy ours there if need be). Games, cards and movies for rainy days, too. After all, if we bring our whole house with us it doesn't feel like vacation!

What are your vacation packing must-haves?

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Toiletries, clothes, lovies, and pillows
azpreemiemom
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Our must haves are diapers, swim suits, plenty of clothes for the baby, snacks for the ride, games, DVD's and that's about it. Like you said, there are stores where we are going and we almost always end up at one for something we forgot.

AnnaNonamus
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM
I love South Haven! I am taking my girls (10 and 16) up to Mavkinaw City for 6 days over the 4th. We camp, so we take the tent, cooler, air mattress, etc for camping.

We pack denim for bottoms - 2 shorts, 1 Capri, and 1 pants, then shirts for each day, pls 1 extra shirt for messes. 1 swim suit, 2 pairs of shoes, towels for each of us.

This is the first time going with just the 3 of us. Last year, my son (13) and husband went. The year before, just my son and girls. This year, the son has no desire to go, and DH can't take the time off work. So, it'll be a girls week. That gives us more room in the car- we have a small car, so we usually use a cargo thing on top. We will be skipping that this year, as we will have extra space in the car, and less clothing to pack.
holmes212
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Diapers clothes extra undies for ds blankies for both kids and pjs toothbrush paste brush shampoo n conditioner. Pads/tampons incase. Phone chargers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

other than toiletries and what ever clothes i need for the vacay( depending on what it is) i need my phone and ipod/Ipad for the trip.     I am a very good packer grew up in a divorce family so every other weekend i was packing for my dad( although he was only a few min from my mom )  but my step mom works for an airlines so on every vacay we flew standby so could only take what i could carry on.    now i will not check a bag ( minus the one time i had to because of a bottle of liqour on the way home from the turks and caicos)    my stepmom and i went to switzerland for 8 days in 2008 and i took one small rolling back and a backpack and i even managed to over pack.      but i have a hard time packing like that for my kids

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM

in addition to enough clothes i make sure we have:  first aid kit (especially after all the accidents my little guys had thus far this year)

toys for the car

snacks for the car

sunscreen & bug repellent

at least one cell phone w/charger

we keep small travel pillows & blankets in the van all the time so no need to worry about those.

unlike one of my sisters who feels the need to bring her whole house where ever she goes i prefer to bring as little as possible.  espcially since it's me who does all the packing & unpacking.

powow65
by kimmy on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM
i have none, sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Well, we haven't been on a vacation in years...but, I have to take sunscreen for everyone. I also need lots of diapers for our little one, don't want to run out on those! Extra clothes, sandals and gym shoes.

koolkidsmom
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My makeup and makeup mirror. lol hair accessories.

koolkidsmom
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

of course my camera and lenses since i do nature photogaphy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80