Smarter Mom: Vacation Packing

Posted by   + Show Post

We lucked into a few days at a house in my favorite beach town (South Haven, MI) for later this month, and I cannot WAIT. Swimming, grilling, beach picnics, sunsets....bring it ON.

Of course, with all that comes packing. In previous years we've gone with my whole family, so I could stash some things in my parents' big SUV....after all, they don't have car seats in the back! This year, it's just us, so we are going to be cramming everything into every inch of our small wagon.

I have a huge tendency to overpack and conveniently forget they actually have stores there if we run out of sunblock or break a flip-flop. This year, due to our limited space, I am forcing myself to go minimalist. It's much easier because my kids are older and no longer require the pack-and-play, bouncer, etc. And this is also our first year where no one is in diapers, so hurray!

My must-haves are: multiple swimsuits for all so there's always a dry one, a soft-sided cooler bag for beach picnics, more beach towels than I think we could possibly ever need plus a few extra, and sunscreen that doesn't make my daughter's sensitive skin break out in a rash (the rest of us can buy ours there if need be). Games, cards and movies for rainy days, too. After all, if we bring our whole house with us it doesn't feel like vacation!

What are your vacation packing must-haves?

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
slw123
by Shawna on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Sunblock, ibuprofen, kids pain reliever and lots of snacks.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM

We haven't ever gone on vacation lol. However when we go out for a day or camping I make sure we have food, water, a change of clothes, sunscreen, and bug spray.

tayanddyl
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM

It has been so long since we vacationed (August 2003).  I want to take the kids somewhere this year but with the lack of money its hard.  I don't even remember what to pack :(

wandep
by Pam on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM

We're off to the beach next week and we're taking clothes, swimsuits, towels, sand toys, my camera, sunscreen, food...snacks and drinks that sort of thing. :)

fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Mascara, a book and an extra pair of flip flops. 

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Medication, (prescription) You can pick up toiletries and stuff, but it's a hassle to get meds filled.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Activities for in the car! 3 active boys don't do car trips that well...

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

We just don't go anywhere without the kids. They're too young still.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

clothes, books, toys, diaoers, pillows

RutterMama
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM

HAHAHA!!! I wish I could know... We don't go on vacations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: