Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hiking In The Great Outdoors

Posted by   + Show Post

The town that we live in has the topography similar to northern California. Large lakes, rolling hills and mountains, wineries as far as the eye can see. We save the wineries for date nights, but the mountains are something that we enjoy as a family. Our house is actually situated in a mountain range, and there is a large trail along the creek which is a three-minute walk from our house. Directly behind our house is a large hill, which leads us into government-owned forest, and we often take our dogs up there for a hike.

In the middle of our small town is a very large mountain (Giant's Head). It's the mountain I ran around on that 10K two weeks ago, and it's a popular place to hike. I will often meet up with a girlfriend (or five) first thing in the morning and if we book it, we can get from the base, to the top, to the bottom again in little over an hour. (I've only ever done the hike by following the winding road. Some people hike straight up the mountain. GOOD FOR THEM.)

About six weeks ago, my husband was out of town for a conference, and my kids had a Saturday morning full of soccer. The weather was warm, I wanted a fun thing to do, and so I suggested that we pack a lunch and hike Giant's Head after soccer. I didn't make them hike the bottom-top-bottom route (OBVIOUSLY). I drove as far as I could, to the parking lot that got us to the steepest part of the hike. After three hours of soccer, they were so excited to see the summit that they powered through and before I knew it, we were at the top. They ran around looking through the landmark telescopes and then we sat to eat our lunch and then they declared it the BEST DAY EVER.

We went up again on Mother's Day, not because I requested it, but because they did. How could I say no? (I couldn't.)

(My hair is waving hello.)

Do you hike at all? Or go on meandering walks? Some of the best conversations we have had is when we are out walking or hiking. Do you find the same?

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Yes I do find the same, that when we are walking we can talk without interruption.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM
We have a walking trail. And the steep of the hill is every hikish!!
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

WE love hiking!

ethans_momma06
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I love our walks.

countrygirlkat
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

We love both hikes and walks.  We live in the mountains of Colorado so we have done some pretty amazing and beautiful hikes.  The kids love to go as well and we just adjust our pace to allow for their little legs with lots of breaks. 

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

No hiking for me, my knees won't let me, but we have some great hiking areas in Tennessee.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM

i love hiking but haven't been in a while.

goddess99
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We go for walks and talk when we are out at the family cottage. I have been doing this with family for at least the last 35 years.

itsblissmas
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I couldn't tell you the last time I've been on a hike. We like to take walks around the neighborhood the best.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

We have not hiked yet. I always loved it as a kid though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN