Group Home

we got her for 5 1/2 weeks!

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 12 Replies

pretty much my whole life i've been trying to get my mom to leave my father.  they've never had a healthy relationship since i've been around.  when i was ten they moved into different bedrooms & have stayed that way, i'm 37 now.  she's old fashioned though, believes in staying married no matter what.  plus there's the fact that my father has beat her self esteem out of her since they've been married, over 50years, & she doesn't feel she could make it on her own.  even though for the last 5 years my husband & i have told her she could live with us.  one of my 5 siblings has made the same offer.  we've even told her she could split her time between us both.  no go though.

every summer she comes down for about a week for the kids b-days in august.  in march she offical retired, she used to work in a nursing home doing hair.  since she retired i've been trying to talk her into coming down for the rest of the summer after she got the ok to travel from her dr (she had surgery on her shoulder in may & her dr wanted her to have 8 weeks of p.t. before she did anything).  the last few weeks i've been looking for flights to find a good deal to get her down her.  found roundtrip fare from ohio to ga yesterday for $200.  called my mom & told her i booked the flight & she'd be down here for about 5 1/2 weeks.  she said "oh, um, ok". ;o) 

the kids are so excited to have granma here for that long, since i don't get along with my father we don't go to ohio to visit often.  my husband is also happy she'll be down here for that long.  5 1/2 weeks to work on her to stay longer! ;o)

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
midnghtsprnkle
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

awesome have a great time...

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM

That's great that you are getting her out of that situation for that long.  I hope that you guys can work on her and get her to see that she needs to leave your dad for her own safety.  Good luck!!!

momkaribg
by Kari on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM
That's great, I hope she enjoys herself. Sounds like she needs to have a little fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM

thanks!  so many have tried to get her to leave.  as time goes on though & she gets older (she'll be 77 in sept) i think she feels more stuck. 

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

That's great that you are getting her out of that situation for that long.  I hope that you guys can work on her and get her to see that she needs to leave your dad for her own safety.  Good luck!!!

saltyalley1227
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM
That's so sad! My DH grandpa was a lot like your dad it sounds like. When he died a couple years back it was like a weight was lifted off his grandma. She didn't even hide that she was happy he was gone. She said she felt free now. (she still took care of him every day after he got sick and everything, but he got lung cancer and chose not to seek treatment). She lives in Florida with her son now and loves it.

Quoting lizzig:

thanks!  so many have tried to get her to leave.  as time goes on though & she gets older (she'll be 77 in sept) i think she feels more stuck. 

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

my father was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer november 2010.  my mom was there for him, taking him to all his appointments & such.  he's cancer free now but i know she wouldn't have shed a tear if things had ended up differently.

Quoting saltyalley1227:

That's so sad! My DH grandpa was a lot like your dad it sounds like. When he died a couple years back it was like a weight was lifted off his grandma. She didn't even hide that she was happy he was gone. She said she felt free now. (she still took care of him every day after he got sick and everything, but he got lung cancer and chose not to seek treatment). She lives in Florida with her son now and loves it.

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Woohoo, that is so awesome. I hope you can talk to her and make her understand that she would be so much better off not being with your dad. I am sorry that your mom has had to go through that. Good luck on getting her to stay.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Good Luck and have fun with your mom...

rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I hope she has a great time! I also hope she realizes she can leave her marriage. She'll feel so much better if she does.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. proudmommy690
  2. cemcnair
  3. melliburger
  4. ScrChk23
  5. Ladyisis
  6. momofsixangels