Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

speed bumps & traffic lights

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM
  • 48 Replies

one of the things i hate about were i live is the speed bumps.  there are so many & most of them are big, the kind that if you go over them fast they can do damage to the bottom of your car.  they may do their job but when you have sleeping babies & go over them, even slowly, it often jars them awake.  when we had progressive insurance we tried their snap shot device but didn't get any discount because in our apartment complex we have to go over 6 just to get to our building.  going over such speed bumps registered as a hard brake on the snap shot, very sensitive device, so that didn't go in our favor for discounts.  not sure if speed bumps are a southern thing or what because where i grew up in the north we hardly had them anywere.

now they've added traffic lights to the bottom of highway entrance ramps on several exits on the many highways around town.  oh joy!  supposed to help with traffic flow but haven't seen that yet.  more of a pain than anything else.

do you have wonderful speed bumps & highway traffic lights were you live?

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM

We don't have the bumps but we do have lights for when you get off the interstate.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM

i'm talking about traffic lights at the end of the ramp getting onto the highway.

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

We don't have the bumps but we do have lights for when you get off the interstate.

midnghtsprnkle
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM

we have regular stops lights but nowthey are starting to put in stupid round a bouts, its just silly and an accident waiting to happen, never mind its harder for the snow plows too...lol

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

they've put in some round abouts around us the last few years in congested 4 & 5 way stops.  i thought it would be more of an issue, there was one near where i used to live that was insane, but it's actually made things better here.  i can see how it wouldn't bode so well for snow plows though.

Quoting midnghtsprnkle:

we have regular stops lights but nowthey are starting to put in stupid round a bouts, its just silly and an accident waiting to happen, never mind its harder for the snow plows too...lol

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

We don't have either. Of course I live way out in the middle of nowhere lol. As for speed bumps in your apartment complex, I completely understand them doing that. There are kids that could be playing. The smaller speed bumps people would just speed over anyway, they could still hit a child that runs out in the road. I know they are a pain in the butt, but they are there for a good reason. I am sure I would be very annoyed by them too if I had to deal with them every day lol.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

We have speed bumps but not a lot.

DawnPratt23
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Most apartments I've seen have speed bumps. And larger areas do have the lights at the highway, it helps prevent accidents. And round about a aren't to hard on snow plows, I live in Utah and they manage just fine around them. It's the stop lights they ignore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by Mandy on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM
I actually wish my neighborhood would put them in. People drive like crazy when the speed limit is 15. The only place I see bumps around town is in parking lots. And yes, there's lights at the highway ramps. Some of them have specific left turn lights, or people would never get a chance to turn due to all the oncoming traffic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM
We dont have the lights on the highway, yet!! we have some speed bumps but usually in shopping strips. In my neighborhood they put in these crazy street narrowers. So you have to slow down and share the road. 2 big trucks cant pass at the same time. Crazy but it got people to slow down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Bump! lol get it? "bump" :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)