Something to think about...

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 97 Replies
Saw this in another group... ~
What is something that you were allowed to do as a child, but would never allow your own children to do! For me, it would be this... I was allowed to play outside all day (young teen) and didn't have to be in until curfew or unless I was hungry. I cannot even imagine not seeing or talking to my daughters (or sons, lol) all day. I will want to know where they are, who they are with and what they are doing. Not saying my parents didn't do a great job, but it's not my parenting style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

My dad used to let us sit in the way back of the Suburban (as in the tail gate area) and he'd drive down the road and swerve around while we (all 4 of us) bounced around like popcorn.

Fun? Sure. Stupidly reckless and SO dangerous? Absolutely. Sorry kids, this mom says you stay buckled up in a moving vehicle.  Even my dad says he'd never do that nowadays.

I was allowed to meander around the neighborhood and not come home until it was getting dark. I won't let my kids do it though. 1. I don't live in my hometown. 2. While I trust my kids to be as smart and responsible as they can be, I don't trust the other humans out there and I'm not one of those naive fools that believes since I live in Military Housing everything is safe and I can check out from being a parent.

There were many other dumb things I did as a kid, that my parents didn't "allow" per se but since they weren't WATCHING us we did them so they happened.

I turned out good, but I believe that was in spite of the dangerous crap I was allowed to do, not because of it.  My kids will turn out capable of making decisions and responsible without my being reckless with them.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM
We used to climb on the roof & play. I'm not going to let dd do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Yes, I'm sure there were other things for me too, lol... But that's one that really stood out in my memory. I'm sure my parents wouldn't approve of it now if I were to try it with my kids. Thankfully, I never will.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

My dad used to let us sit in the way back of the Suburban (as in the tail gate area) and he'd drive down the road and swerve around while we (all 4 of us) bounced around like popcorn.

Fun? Sure. Stupidly reckless and SO dangerous? Absolutely. Sorry kids, this mom says you stay buckled up in a moving vehicle.  Even my dad says he'd never do that nowadays.

I was allowed to meander around the neighborhood and not come home until it was getting dark. I won't let my kids do it though. 1. I don't live in my hometown. 2. While I trust my kids to be as smart and responsible as they can be, I don't trust the other humans out there and I'm not one of those naive fools that believes since I live in Military Housing everything is safe and I can check out from being a parent.

There were many other dumb things I did as a kid, that my parents didn't "allow" per se but since they weren't WATCHING us we did them so they happened.

I turned out good, but I believe that was in spite of the dangerous crap I was allowed to do, not because of it.  My kids will turn out capable of making decisions and responsible without my being reckless with them.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM
I played on an apartment building roof once. My parents did not know (see, they should have known where I was, lol) I would never let my kids do that

quote name="momma-flynn" id="0"]We used to climb on the roof & play. I'm not going to let dd do that.[/quote]
critter_boo
by Sarah on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Letting us go anywhere in the nueghborhood alone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
i lived in a development and everyone knew everyone. if you fell off your bike and got hurt on the opposite side from where you lived the neighbors would call your parents and let them know.
i was allowed to stay out unti dark pretty much everyday. i would just eat at whoevers house and be on my way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I was allowed to walk to school without a parent and my little sister (by 2 years) in the 3rd grade so, I was 8.  I was responsible but, I don't think enough for that at all.  We were on a military base but, anything can happen anywhere!

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I was allowed to, like you, stay outside as long as I wanted.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I was allowed to walk home from school which is something I would never allow.

DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
I've never really thought about it... My parents thought they had all the rules right but I snuck around the rules any way. I did however turn out alright
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: