Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beach Baby, Beach Baby, Give me your plan?

Posted by   + Show Post

This blog will be different than the others. Instead of giving you advice I am in need of yours. How can I enjoy the beach with my baby?

Going to the beach is, by far, one of my most favorite things about living on an island. Instant relaxation just add headphones. Last summer I was very, very pregnant. I didn't let that stop me. I waddled out onto the sand, set up my chair (because there was no way I would ever get back up again if I sat down on the sand), opened up my magazine and a big ol' bag of chips and stuffed my face. I swear there were hungry girls in itsy bitsy bikinis drooling with every crunchy satisfying chip I munched. Nevertheless I knew it was the last time I'd be able to sit on a beach in total unattached bliss so I tried to live it up...

So this week I plan to take my little munchkin to the beach. 

In my head I have visions of poopy diapers floating in the ocean, her picking up old cigarette butts that never quite made it to the trash, to taste them. I picture myself frantically running around saying No, no, no! Then there's sunburns, seagulls and speedos...oh my!  I need a plan to make this beach trip a success.

Here is my tentative plan. As much as I'd love to give y'all a failsafe plan of action this is my first time. So let's learn together?

I plan to lather Cadence up with sunblock before we leave the house so that she's A. Not a sticky sandtrap waiting to happen and B. thoroughly protected. I'm sure I'll need to reapply but we'll cross that bridge when (if) we come to it.

I don't have a beach buggy so I can only bring what I can carry on my person--this will most definitely include the baby. These are one of those times I wish I had a donkey. My essentials list includes water, diapers, sunblock, umbrella, snacks and a blanket. Barring a sudden discovery of a mule--I'm thinking I might need to bring a friend for this one.

These seem like the must-haves/mental list of what I think I have got covered.

So I ask you veteran moms, tell me your tricks of the trade!

What can I do to make sure my curious monkey isn't eating anything she sees on the ground if I blink?

What do I do if she wants to take a nap?

How long can a 10 month old stay on the beach?

Thanks in advance ladies for what I know will be informative and useful tips!

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Bmat
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I only kept my baby on the beach a short while and kept my attention on him the entire time.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Go with the flow!

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Baby wipes!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM

That is a really cool thing and it doesn't cost much at all.  My first concern would have been was it easy to set up but since you said it was I would totally consider this for a trip to the beach. 

Quoting Kainalu55:

I highly recommend the 

RIO BEACH CABANA or something similar to this.  We used it a lot when my dd was a baby. it's pretty easy to set up, and you have great shelter form the sun as well as a way to keep baby off the sand, and a nice place to sleep too!

tayanddyl
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

That's what we usually do, just let it flow

Quoting Madelaine:

Go with the flow!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quoting KristinRox:

I would also add a little bucket and shovel, a couple towels, and some talcum powder to your list of things to bring. A bucket and a shovel is to keep your baby occupied. Towels are not only for drying put they can double as a clean sand free place to put her, if you need a place. Talcum power is to sprinkle on to get the sand that is stuck to you off. 

I would also consider bringing the wet dry spray on sunblock. It works easily, there isnt as much mess, and you can put it on even if she is dripping wet. 

As for how long, and when she can nap, I say play it by ear. Go with the flow. You can only do what works for you and her. 

This all sounds like great advice.  Having never really been to the beach much since we live nowhere near it I wouldn't have known about the talcum powder but it sounds like wonderful advice!

Bmat
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM

There are beach blankets that shed sand, too. These are nice to help keep sand off of part of the area. But playing in the sand is part of the fun. So I'd bring a bucket and shovel and let the baby dig and splash.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Cool!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

We survived with our 5 month old. In the summer too lol.

Quoting tayanddyl:

I survived Disneyworld with an 8 month olds, you'll be fine :)I just make sure you have fun and take plenty pics

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I tried the baby powder thing and it works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)