Group Home

Smarter Living: 5 Must-Read Summer Books

Posted by   + Show Post

I love nothing more than a lazy summer afternoon of reading. Who's with me? But my main problem every year: deciding what on my pile of books to crack open first. So many great books are out there....and if you are like me, my reading minutes are few and far between. Here are a few on the top of my list this summer.

The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones - From author of The Outcast, winner of the Costa First Novel Award in the United Kingdom and a finalist for the Orange Prize for Fiction, comes a funny, though dark, comedic novel set in1912 in England. USA Today calls it "Downton Abbey meets The Twilight Zone."

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner - She is one of my all-time favorite authors (she wrote In Her Shoes and Good in Bed along with a gazillion other fabu reads), and her new novel is about four women who have to become a family due circumstance and obligation.

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep  by David K. Randall - A nonfiction, fun book on why we sleep and how sleep works...why it doesn't come so easy sometimes.

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook -- Pure joy on the pages...and it has "Dancing with the Stars" in it too. From the author of Must Love Dogs, follow Deidre's journey out of despair and heartache into the spotlight of Hollywood. Total fun and fantastic writing.

Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son by Michael Chabon - From one of the best authors of our time, this collection of essays on parenthood from a guy's POV is wry, moving, thoughtful and thought-provoking. A must-read.

What are you reading these days? Or what do you want to read?

©iStockphoto.com/LuisPortugal

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-48):
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The Reverend's wife. I am almost done.

dixiegurl223626
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I dont like to read

fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I'm reading The Kitchen House (historical fiction) and Elegy for Eddie (historical mystery).

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM

James Patterson, Kathy Reichs, and a few others. I also got a few interesting scifi ones to read

black.eyeliner
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Clockwork Angel. I read constantly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malexander2009
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM
We're both reading child rearing books right now. And when we finish the one we're currently reading we'll switch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by Corinne on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Thanks for the recommendations

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Some of those sound interesting but I have a long list of books on my to read list!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690