Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: 5 Must-Read Summer Books

Posted by   + Show Post

I love nothing more than a lazy summer afternoon of reading. Who's with me? But my main problem every year: deciding what on my pile of books to crack open first. So many great books are out there....and if you are like me, my reading minutes are few and far between. Here are a few on the top of my list this summer.

The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones - From author of The Outcast, winner of the Costa First Novel Award in the United Kingdom and a finalist for the Orange Prize for Fiction, comes a funny, though dark, comedic novel set in1912 in England. USA Today calls it "Downton Abbey meets The Twilight Zone."

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner - She is one of my all-time favorite authors (she wrote In Her Shoes and Good in Bed along with a gazillion other fabu reads), and her new novel is about four women who have to become a family due circumstance and obligation.

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep  by David K. Randall - A nonfiction, fun book on why we sleep and how sleep works...why it doesn't come so easy sometimes.

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook -- Pure joy on the pages...and it has "Dancing with the Stars" in it too. From the author of Must Love Dogs, follow Deidre's journey out of despair and heartache into the spotlight of Hollywood. Total fun and fantastic writing.

Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son by Michael Chabon - From one of the best authors of our time, this collection of essays on parenthood from a guy's POV is wry, moving, thoughtful and thought-provoking. A must-read.

What are you reading these days? Or what do you want to read?

ŠiStockphoto.com/LuisPortugal

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
amy7243
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I love to read. I have not had any time lately though.

besosfantasies
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Currently I'm reading The Fever Series. I've been reading my butt off this summer to help pass time :) 

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I  read the Fifty Shades books a few months ago. Then I read some vampire love story that has a sequel coming out this summer, I am looking forward to that.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I like mystery books.

ashleywagoner
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I am interested in the 50 shades of grey books and the hunger games trilogy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I have a huge list I want to read! Just NO time to do it!!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM

currently i'm reading the last in amistead maupin's tales of the city series, maryanne in autumn.  never heard of any of the ones listed in the post.  i generally lean more toward sci-fi/supernatural stories.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I love reading. I may check some of those out!

wandep
Please join my group Cleaning the Flylady Way. We'd love to have you! :)
Yesterday at 3:42 PM
by Pam on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Same here. If you have a facebook account check out pixel of ink they have free books every day...up to five times a day! I get most of mine there.

Quoting elasmimi:

I am currently only reading free books from Amazon for Kindle. They have new ones ever day, including lots of good kids books.

meam4444
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I'm still working on The Help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)