Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: 5 Must-Read Summer Books

Posted by   + Show Post

I love nothing more than a lazy summer afternoon of reading. Who's with me? But my main problem every year: deciding what on my pile of books to crack open first. So many great books are out there....and if you are like me, my reading minutes are few and far between. Here are a few on the top of my list this summer.

The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones - From author of The Outcast, winner of the Costa First Novel Award in the United Kingdom and a finalist for the Orange Prize for Fiction, comes a funny, though dark, comedic novel set in1912 in England. USA Today calls it "Downton Abbey meets The Twilight Zone."

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner - She is one of my all-time favorite authors (she wrote In Her Shoes and Good in Bed along with a gazillion other fabu reads), and her new novel is about four women who have to become a family due circumstance and obligation.

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep  by David K. Randall - A nonfiction, fun book on why we sleep and how sleep works...why it doesn't come so easy sometimes.

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook -- Pure joy on the pages...and it has "Dancing with the Stars" in it too. From the author of Must Love Dogs, follow Deidre's journey out of despair and heartache into the spotlight of Hollywood. Total fun and fantastic writing.

Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son by Michael Chabon - From one of the best authors of our time, this collection of essays on parenthood from a guy's POV is wry, moving, thoughtful and thought-provoking. A must-read.

What are you reading these days? Or what do you want to read?

©iStockphoto.com/LuisPortugal

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
powow65
by kimmy on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM
im still working on the "breaking dawn" of "twilight".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

i want to read Catching Fire, but i'm waiting to find it at a yard sale! lol.  I don't like spending a lot on books that I only read once

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I will have to look into that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM

TFS

Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I need to start a new book.

jendawn1
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Right now I'm reading twilight breaking the dawn part 1 . Lol
And 1-2-3 magic.
I have just started back to reading books instead of the parenting ,self help, suzzy home maker books. I love me so drama lol. Ill have to look into those books thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Me too!

Quoting powow65:

im still working on the "breaking dawn" of "twilight".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

A couple of these look great!!

fairybaby55
by Sara on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

they all sound good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)